Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnb352_gw

Central Florida; what kind of grass is this?

johnb352
9 years ago

I live in the central Florida area. What kind of grass is this?

Comments (9)

• johnb352
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another....
    I thought you used to be able to upload more than one photo at a time.

• johnb352
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another....

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

You used to not be able to upload any pictures at a time. The only way then and now was/is to use HTML code. They used to have a forum where you could practice your HTML uploads.

That looks like recently mowed St Augustine, but it also looks like recently mowed centipede. Before you mow it, if the blade tips are pointed, then it is centipede. If the tips are blunt, then it is St Augustine. I've never seen centipede look that nice, so I'm inclined to say St Aug.

• botanicalbill
    9 years ago

Empire Zoysia mowed with a dull mower blade.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Easily zoysia... They are tough on the mowing blades so it needs to be sharpened often. I've mowed it enough to be able to tell the difference between zoysia and st augustine.

It looks pretty healthy.

Bill, how can you tell it's Empire? Lol. They all mostly look same to me.

• johnb352
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those were taken in the front yard. This is one from the back yard where there is more shade. It's been mowed within the past week. Some of the grass looks like it has pointed ends

• johnb352
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some more information about this grass; this house is located in a neighborhood that I wouldn't expect to see Zoysia planted. Because of the cost. I'm pretty sure whatever is in the lawns of the houses on this street grew here naturally. I think. This lawn has at least 3 kinds of grass. But whatever this grass is, it's what does best, and looks the best on this lawn. So I'd like to get some sod of the same thing. I'm familiar with Empire Zoysia, and it usually has a stem, with blades of grass growing off from that. This grass isn't like that. The blades of grass seem to all start at ground level. I'm not an expert on lawns, so I'm just trying to help with the identification of this grass, not give my opinion of what it is.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Can you get the camera about 3 inches away from the grass and still focus?

• johnb352
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dchall -- I can try that. Also what I was thinking was, let the grass grow out enough so that the tips show. Taking pictures right after I cut it wasn't such a good idea, in retrospect.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022