Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Is now good time to plant?

pbx2_gw
10 years ago

We just moved into a new construction 2 months ago & a couple of the plants/shrubs, a holly tree & an area of sod they had laid down have gone dead.

Is right now a prudent time to replant these items or should we wait till September?

Comments (6)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Now should be fine for sod. What happened to the old sod? What was your watering schedule for the sod?
    Where do you live?
    What kind of grass was in the sod?

Now is the worst time of year to seed unless you are seeding bermuda. Now is about right for that.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dchall_san_antonio 8 San Antonio (My Page) on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 23:05
    What happened to the old sod?
    Seems the sod didn't all grow evenly.
    This one big area was not watered properly when first installed (irrigation company or landscaper both to blame??) & just has dead lines where the sod cut lines were. & bare spots mixed in.
    We have some other 'holes' in the rest of the lawn which we can fill in with dirt & soil & seed in Sept.

What was your watering schedule for the sod?
    We have a Rain Bird Controller that incorporates weather, run-off & evaporation. It was set by the irrigation folks @ a generic 0.25 in/hr & ran like every other all over our lawn for like 1 month solid- deep watering for upwards to 70minutes every other day during grown-in for a month & a half. Because of the hectic move - we didn't realize this.

Where do you live?
    Central VA Richmond

What kind of grass was in the sod?
    Fescue

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

You should put some cat food or tuna cans in the yard to measure the real output of your sprinklers. Time how long they run and see how much you get in the cans. Ideally you will apply 1 inch per week in the hottest heat of summer - AFTER THE SOD IS GROWING WELL. Until then you should water a little more frequently with the objective of getting the water deep in the soil and backing off on the frequency. Short bursts of water on a daily basis is the worst case. It encourages weeds and promotes disease.

You should have been watering new sod 2x-3x per day for a short time each - just enough to keep the roots moist while they knit into the underlying soil. Allowing it to go every other day might have been a problem.

With that in mind, adding new sod now should be okay. The sooner the better since your old new sod does not have deep roots yet.

Do you have a lot of shade? Just wondering why fescue instead of a fescue mix with Kentucky bluegrass or full KBG?

• Ethanhh
    10 years ago

If the an area of sod had laid down. its right time to replant your sod, Search best landscaping Supplies discuss with them they will give tips how to care your lawn turf.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.greenlawnturf.com.au/

• enigma7
    10 years ago

No one said so I will: Don't replant the trees/shrubs/etc. until the fall. You would be fighting a losing battle that at best would have a sickly plant that barely made it through the summer and early fall, and at worst would have you waste a lot of time/money/water to only do it again once fall hits. Tear them out, put some compost down and ride out the summer.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by dchall_san_antonio 8 San Antonio (My Page) on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 20:37
    You should put some cat food or tuna cans in the yard to measure the real output of your sprinklers. Time how long they run and see how much you get in the cans. Ideally you will apply 1 inch per week in the hottest heat of summer - AFTER THE SOD IS GROWING WELL.

I did this in all my 9 zones for 15 mins & multiplying by 4 to a get a 60 mins equivalent.
    then recently set my Rain Bird controller with these assumptions & let it do its thing. But I am sceptical as it appears the RB algorithm likes to cycle & soak 2-3 times a week in a 10-15 min for each zone. That's is where I notice the discrepancy in philosophy of experienced lawn experts such as yourself.

Until then you should water a little more frequently with the objective of getting the water deep in the soil and backing off on the frequency. Short bursts of water on a daily basis is the worst case. It encourages weeds and promotes disease.
    You should have been watering new sod 2x-3x per day for a short time each - just enough to keep the roots moist while they knit into the underlying soil. Allowing it to go every other day might have been a problem.

Reality was the irrigation folks set the sprinklers initially to water deep & almost everyday during the grow-in period.
    We finally realized this one month in & went to the 'tuna can' inputs & cut back the watering ourselves.
    That said, the damage may have already been done as we currently see some spots that have yellowing & unevening & divots with no grass growth in our overall lawn.

Can you clarify what you mean in red above please?
    A bit confused here as it appears there is some contradiction with your recommendations ??

With that in mind, adding new sod now should be okay. The sooner the better since your old new sod does not have deep roots yet.
    Doesn't this counter the conventional wisdom of only planting during early spring & early fall?

Do you have a lot of shade? Just wondering why fescue instead of a fescue mix with Kentucky bluegrass or full KBG?

Our house is on a new lot with no mature trees of note & is 90% unshaded.