Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Superthrive help sod that....

Posted by toniola (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 17:26

...may not have been watered enough the first day?

That's my best guess at what's going on. There are several patches among the 250 sq. ft., which are looking bad...lots of brown, with very little green. I'd estimate 25% is ailing.

It was laid late in the day, and watered a little...seemed moist. Then not watered until about 3 in the afternoon the next day, as someone forgot to tend to it. Temp out was about 75. Good 2 times per day watering after that...it's been 6 days since the install.

Someone said Superthrive would work miracles. Anyone have experience with that stuff?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Superthrive help sod that....

It may or may not. If you want to try the same product but without the high price, look at Lowe's for Lilly Miller Vitamin B1 Plant Starter. It costs about $8 for a gallon. SuperThrive is more like $8 for 2 ounces.

What kind of grass and where do you live? Some grasses might normally suffer in the first weeks depending on the location.

Was the sod rolled down the first day? That would be my biggest concern.

o

Good tip on the Lowe's product. The sod came from a local place that gets a pallet delivered from Sacramento...50 miles from us here in Grass Valley, CA. I think it had sat on the pallet for a day, so that could contribute to it's not-so-healthy state. I dunno what type of lawn it is...something they recommend for our sierra foothills area. I threw down some sod they gave away once, due to it being old, and it actually came back over time and is quite nice. I have hope this stuff can grab hold, but thought I'd give it a boost with something like that superthrive...is it just B1

o
vitamin b1 and rooting hormone

Superthrive, and the Lilly Miller product, is a mix of vitamin B1 and a rooting hormone. Same dilution for both products.

Find out what that grass is in the next few weeks. If you have a fescue, find out specifically what variety it is and where to buy seed. You will need it for the end of summer seeding that fescue turf needs. You will really need it for the dead spots. If you get a different variety seed, then you will see the spots from now on.

If it is not fescue then you are off the hook for seeding. Other grasses popular in Sac'to (I know y'all hate that term as much as we hate San Antone) will recover this season with just water.

o

Yeah...just found out it's 90% fescue and 10 blue grass

o

Good news! The bluegrass should return to fill in any weak spots in fescue.

o

thanks dchall....it's actually perking up now, but I haven't applied any nutrients. I will think about giving it something soon, but it's good to know the blue will fill in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here