Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

Is this Bermuda?

fairfield8619
10 years ago

Forgive my stupidity but... this is is growing in my lawn where I wouldn't expect Bermuda to be doing so well. I thought there was too much shade for bermuda even if it is the sunniest part of the yard. It is fairly thick and healthy at that.
So, thinking this might the ticket since it was already there I went and bought some cheap bermuda seed. It has come up but is much finer and seemly not as vigorous as this grass. It has been two months but is just spreading a little and doesn't look like what I believe is the existing bermuda below. It has been very very hot and humid so I don't think it is the temp. Is it just a matter of age and will I just need to water and fertilize and be patient?

Comments (10)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

If this stuff is doing well in the shade that narrows it down to St Augustine and one of the rare zoysias that survive in shade. Since it is a coarser blade than bermuda, it still could be either grass. There are two problems with being more certain. St Aug has a boat shaped blade tip and St Aug spreads by sending runners over the ground, not under. This grass clearly is spreading underground. I'm going with zoysia. Not very many of the zoysias will survive in the shade. This might be one of them.

If you want a pretty sure bet for a shady area grass, get a flat of St Augustine and lay it back in there. Water it daily to keep the sod moist, not soggy. In a couple weeks it should knit into the soil and start to spread. St Aug will spread 5 feet in all directions in the spring and again in the fall. One flat will cover a lot of ground in two years.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually most of the yard is SA- most of the yard is in shade. This gets the most sun and thus the driest. I thought about zoysia but was not sure, it is rare around here. This grows much slower in height than the SA too so maybe it is zoysia. It seems to get enough sun, enough to have a slight cushion effect at that. I will probably get some SA though since it is easily available.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Are you in north Los Angeles or north Louisiana (or north Lake Arrowhead)?

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in north Louisiana- the abbreviation for Louisiana is LA. I don't think there is an abbreviation for Los Angeles. Sorry just checked back here again. It might very well be zoysia since I see that is can tolerate some shade. This gets quit a bit of sun though. I think plugging some SA would be the best.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

If you are in Louisiana then that must be zoysia.

LA is commonly used for Los Angeles, too. I see it all the time in the forums - especially since the population of Los Angeles is much higher than the population of Louisiana.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

True that is, but I always think if everyone can use their official abbreviation I should be able too. Colloquial language often does specify LA for Los Angeles though, but it is really not accurate.

• chaoticut
    10 years ago

Seeing how the city of LA has almost as many residents of the state of LA, I would say most people could easily confuse the two based on which side of the Mississippi you are on.

Lets let Google solve this for us! :)

http://bit.ly/123GS1z

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know it really doesn't matter what the population is, the official postal abbreviation for Louisiana is LA. Please tell me what the postal designation is for Los Angeles. Really, you're being a bit over the top with this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Official USPS Abbreviations

• kbinmd
    10 years ago

Looks similiar to our Meyer Zoysia

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    10 years ago

Is the population of Los Angeles really more than the whole state of Louisiana? Hard to imagine...