Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lgb0250

Applying Compost?

lgb0250
9 years ago

Having 20 yds of compost delivered and spread this Saturday. My question is this. My yard is ready to be mowed now. Should I wait and let it continue to grow until next week after the compost has been spread and watered in or should I mow it now before the compost is delivered or does it just not matter? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

Mow it now, don't cut it too short and the compost will spread easier and more of it will lay on the ground and not the grass.

• beckyinrichmond
    9 years ago

Unless you are trying to kill the grass, be careful about how much compost you put on it. It should not be more than 1/4 inch. Why are you doing this?

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

I do hope it's rye or bluegrass and not fescue or one of those southern grasses on your lawn. Or, I have to say it, your lawn needs compost because it's almost pure compacted clay. Most don't.

This post was edited by AgroCoders on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 18:43

• lgb0250
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a Bermuda lawn with most definitely compacted clay soil. I have aerated it and now intend to spread a 1/4" of compost over the top of it. From everything I've read you should put compost down once or twice a year! Is this incorrect?

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

I would put it down no more than 2 in a 2 year period. And long term I would to something like dchall from San Antonio, TX (in these forums) recommendation to use cheap bulk corn meal.At least I'm going to try it out. Sound very practical and productive if not too many field mice are around. (:-)) !!!

In fact I asked dchall how much I need for 0.25 - 0.33 acres and how often for how many years as compost isn't practical for me. I intend on using a cheap Scott's fertilizer / seed spreader (they look like modified wheel barrows with a spreader at the bottom).

This post was edited by AgroCoders on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 21:03

• lgb0250
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a Bermuda lawn with most definitely compacted clay soil. I have aerated it and now intend to spread a 1/4" of compost over the top of it. From everything I've read you should put compost down once or twice a year! Is this incorrect?

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

Bermuda in North Carolina? Are you on the coast?

Once a year is enough, then once a year until your lawn is remedied to your liking. Although I thought Bermuda was chosen for sandy soil. Unless you are trying to enrich your soil enough to someday replace the Bermuda, then if you want to replace the Bermuda Grass go for twice a year.

Sorry if I sound surprised you chose Bermuda Grass. I called it Crab Grass as a kid as it's not kid friendly. For most people, Crab Grass is the similar looking grass to Bermuda without the surface runners.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

I am the only compost rebel I know of. I have not used it in well over 10 years - at least not on my lawn. We have a compost pile and my wife uses it in the garden but not the lawn.

If you have bermuda, you should search the Internet for the Bermuda Bible by Texas Weed. Here's a basic summary

Weekly
    Mulch mow 2x at 1 to 2 inches
    Water deeply once

Monthly
    Fertilize heavily with a high N fertilizer

The BB will explain that but that's what it boils down to.