Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace old fescue lawn

Posted by charleshx 10b (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 17:58

My original fescue lawn (appr. 2000 sq.ft) was once replaced because of bermuda invasion. The grass was killed with round-up (unfortunately there is no barrier between the lawn and my flower beds, much of the flowers were harmed, many killed). , then the "grass" was removed and new sod was placed. Now bermuda came up much faster and in a few years the lawn is shot. Apparently, the bermuda rhizomes were too deep and also infiltrated the flower beds and came back to the lawn, also the once a week gardener brings in much infestation with his mover.
One neighbor replaced his lawn with plastic, I don't like plastic and also it is very expensive.
What should I do, please advise. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace old fescue lawn

Where do you live? Zone 10b, if you are in the US is likely to be South Florida or South Texas. Fescue is not a good choice for the hot zones. Your issue is one good reason for that.

If you want to change to St Augustine you have a shot at getting rid of the berumda in the lawn but not in the beds. If you want to sacrifice your beds for a few months, you can try to get rid of all the bermuda with two doses of RoundUp sprayed a week or so apart. Water after the first spray to try and get any/all weed seeds to sprout. Then when those are growing, hit it again with RU. Then you can try the futile fescue again or change to St Augustine. Good care of St Aug can work against the bermuda and eventually knock it back to the point where you don't even know it's there. I'm doing that right now and it's working fine.

What is your goal with the lawn? Is shade an issue at all?

o
RE: Replace old fescue lawn

Actually i Don't know the zone designation. We are in Capistrano Beach, half way between Los Angeles and San Diego in Orange County, California, 3 blocks from the Pacific Ocean even with some water view. Weather is temperate, hot times only for 2-3 days in Sept when the Santa Ana winds blow from inland. Just now we don't have sunshine for days (June gloom) and temperature will not go higher than 74 F. This zone extends about 1/2 mile from the ocean and has a totally different climate than the rest of the land.Shade for the lawn is not an issue, it gets at least a half a day of full sun when the sun is out.
The goal? Just a nice looking lawn which does not brown out in winter like the bermuda.
The vogue here is tall fescue called Marathon laid from sod. Having Bermuda, St Augustine is a no-no, I believe the homeowners association would strenuously object protecting the neighbor's lawns.
The procedure outlined in your reply was followed before. The new fescue lawn was nice for a year or even two but then the bermuda came back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here