Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clover with yellow flowers... can I just pull it out?

Posted by barbiescraps (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 17:59

My back yard is loaded with clover and tons of yellow flowers. My neighbors yards are pristine and weedfree... which I would love my yard to look like. If I pull the clusters of clover out.... I know that there will be many many bald spots. Could I just plant seed? If I pull out the clover and plant seed how soon can I treat the entire lawn with weed and feed? I did use Weed be gone chickweed, clover and oxalis on about one fourth of my yard to see if it would kill the clover. It has been a week and I see no change. I guess I was expecting it to shrivel and die... but no such luck! UGH.. help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clover with yellow flowers... can I just pull it out?

Your problems are "misidentification" and "impatience".

There is no clover with yellow flowers. Clover-like leaves and yellow flowers is Oxalis. Luckily for you the herbicide is the same for both - Triclopyr, which is the active ingredient in the product you used.

Triclopyr kills more slowly than some other herbicides - you will see changes between Day 10-14. Repeat the application at two weeks to maximize control. Don't repeat earlier than that - it can burn the good grass if overapplied.

o

Small hop clover has yellow flowers and it is a winter annual, which is why you did not see much activity from your herbicide spray. Winter annuals are very hard to kill by late spring with herbicides. The good news is it will die very soon on it's own. A more dense turf will help out compete this weed next spring.

o

Are there any downsides to just pulling it out? Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here