Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rager_w

Start of 2013...finally

rager_w
10 years ago

Well we finally got started with temps consistently in the 80's w/60's overnight. Here's a few pictures after the leveling last year. I can now use the Trimmer at the 2nd lowest setting. It's still a little early, but starting to come along. I cut today after 3 days, but there wasn't much. It has been 1 week since I applied the growth regulator. I'll report back as I go along.
No I don't use the big Deere (X500) on the front. It just totes my stuff.
I owe my success of this turf to this site and of coarse TW's advice.

{{gwi:101611}}
{{gwi:101612}}
{{gwi:101614}}

This post was edited by rager_w on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 18:43

Comments (21)

• rager_w
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is Deere territory. Interesting how you can really see where the hybrid Bermuda stops (419) and the common starts (triangle). As well as the color difference. It's still early for the 419 though.
    {{gwi:101615}}
    {{gwi:101616}}

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

Are you using a rotary mower that low? Can't say I've seen a john Deere reel mower that isn't side mounted.

• NWGADawg
    10 years ago

What pre-emergents are you using? I am in NWGA and just starting to learn what I need to do to my Bermuda. I have the BB, but found it online too late into spring. I'm trying to get ready for summer fertilization and fall/winter/spring pre-em going forward. Also, where are you finding 39-0-0? I will drive to ATL if I have to, that's a non-issue. Thanks in advance for any advice you have for our region. I know Amaze is good. I found a preen product containing 2-4 D/ dicamba/dithiopyr(dimension). Sorry for the long reply and the yard looks amazing!

• rager_w
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I use Amaze pre-M and get the 39-0-0 at John Deere Landscapes. I used to go to the one in Cartersville but it closed. So now I go to Marietta.

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

My understanding is there are varying levels of Lesco 39-0-0 which can differ in their release rate. I have noticed Bermud does best with a high quick release percentage. I wasn't a big user of the Lesco but would check what the percentage of quick release you branch offers. I have used high nitrogen fertilizers with poor results based on their release rate. I only use Vigoro 29-0-4 yellow label which states it greens in 72 hours. Often people think if they buy a commercial brand they get a high end product because it comes form a landscape supply house.

• rager_w
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's funny you mention the Vigoro 29-0-4. Is it as you say "a high quick release percentage?" You do realize it says "time release nitrogen" too? It doesn't say what % is fast release yet you believe the marketing claim of "greens in 72 hours". The 39-0-0 I bought from JD-L is 17.6% slow release...of the 39% N. So, you are saying the Vigoro is a better product based on the marketing claims? Fascinating! Are you still over-seeding Hybrid with Yukon? You really should change your screen name.

• rager_w
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BermudaTamer wrote "Are you using a rotary mower that low? Can't say I've seen a john Deere reel mower that isn't side mounted."

Sorry for the late reply. My first post said " I can now use the Trimmer at the 2nd lowest setting." Again your ignorance shows. You don't realize that Trimmer is a brand of reel mowers that has been around for, oh, maybe 30 years?
    http://caltrimmer.com/products/models/rl25/

• NWGADawg
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Rager. I I have inherited quite a mess when it comes to the lawn, but I see promise in it. Hard work and dedication will prevail. Thanks again.

• rager_w
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Me too GA Dawg! Great school!!! I went to MSU, very similar schools in many ways (Vet schools, ag schools, land grant, etc).

When we bought the property here in 05, it had not been cared for since it was built in 03. The beauty of Bermuda (as I've learned) is that it is virtually impossible to kill, unlike fescue, saint augustine, etc. Once you give it a little love (fert, water and mow low) it will come screaming back.
    I've lived in the north with KBG, but I just love Bermuda, despite 3 months of straw colored turf. This site is awesome for turf advice!

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

rager_w

I don't say the Vigoro is better but don't you know the variations there are in Lesco just in that formulation? That's my point at least the Vigoro is consistent it's not marketing I know it works and you best post the stock number of the Lesco when your dealing with so called commercial grade products so everyone gets the correct fertilizer. Prove me wrong use the Lesco one month then the Vigoro Someone feel free to do it.

Second when it comes to reel mowers I had a Mc Lane Rp-5 but due to my yard topo I only use push reel mowers so I don't try to pose by slinging around reel mower nomenclature.

Yup I do overseed Tiffway with Yukon the problem is you busy with reel mowers and not reading NTEP data on turf grass. I don't need to change my name as I achieve a better looking lawn with a push reel mower and store bought fertilizer, ask my neighbor who bought the Lesco what he uses now!

Didn't you see my other post were my grass looks better than yours and I just dethatched it ? You have more patchy areas than I do maybe I'll send you a bag of Yukon.

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

Here you go after two weeks still recovering from dethatching this was 4 days ago its amazing now but I'm traveling and will get you a current one this weekend. Mine is the green one the brown is the neighbors'.

This post was edited by BermudaTamer on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 22:21

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

Oh that's not the neighbor who uses the Vigoro by the way.

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

Here's one more of my house from space...tell me to change my name !

• rager_w
    Original Author
    10 years ago

" I don't say...." what are you 15? You make me laugh. Need I remind you of how experts reacted to your over-seeding plan?
    Dschall said "Posts like this make me shudder. My fear is that noobs will come here, read about the mix of seeded and sodded bemuda, and believe it to be a good idea. Please, if you are looking into a bermuda lawn, NEVER MIX A SEEDED VARIETY INTO A SODDED VARIETY.

Dethatching Bermuda is just plain ignorant. It doesn't typically suffer from thatch unless you are over watering and over fertilizing.
    OH and I'm very familiar with the NTEP data. TW schooled me on that years ago. What does that have to do with screwing up hybrid Bermuda? Because Yukon comes close, it's a good idea to over-seed with it? Again, your ignorance is amazing. What are your qualifications for this industry, anyway? I'm curious.

• NWGADawg
    10 years ago

I noticed you use Celsius for dallisgrass post-em Rager. Does the amaze generally keep that in line? Do you use a liquid version or granules? I take it you and Tamer are friends?

• rager_w
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very funny :)!
    I did use a combination of Celsius (granules mixed to make a slurry) and 2-4, D on the DG. It seemed to take it out, for the most part. I don't think the Amaze (granules) prevented it, but I'm in a unique situation. Both houses on each side have been vacant for well over a year (love Atlanta!). You can just imagine what the adjacent lawns look like. I think I will hurry up and buy some Target 6 (MSMA) before they run out. It has been banned from consumer use but is the best for DG.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

HEY! Sit down and chill.

Now that I know more about BermudaTamer's situation I have changed my mind about his apparent faux pas. For whatever reasons he has a mix of sodded and seeded bermuda. So do a lot of people, and they can't change it. And for whatever reasons he dethatched it. Now look at his pictures! He clearly has considerable success with what he's doing. With his early posts I was shuddering, but his pictures have demonstrated he has some skills we need to pay attention to. What if someone writes in with a mixed bermuda lawn, claims to have thatch, and wants to know what to do? I would have dismissed the thatch claim as preposterous and suggested living with it. BT is moving forward as if he has the best lawn in the neighborhood...and from the pictures, he does. We have an opportunity to learn from him. Just because it is not your personal cup of tea does not negate his success. Many of us are monoculture lawn snobs. BT has found a way to turn a fairly typical, multiculture turf situation into a showplace. I don't suggest hyjacking this thread to dive into that conversation, but perhaps on another topic...

At the same time, I do not agree with the idea of overseeding a hybrid bermuda on purpose. If you already have Tif 419 sod, you have the gold standard for homeowner lawns. But if you inherit a lawn that is a mix, we have typically been at a loss for how to simply care for it (maybe I'm speaking for myself!!). Maybe dethatching (or verticutting or slicing or power raking) is the thing to do in the spring. It is not going to kill the bermuda. Whatever he's doing - we need to learn.

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

Yes I'm 15 going on 40 but TW didn't have to school me I have the aptitude to know Yukon and Tiffway are equal in their density both are 5.5. If you have thin areas you can't reclaimate like I mentioned then Yukon is a good alternative to plugs or sprigs.

Regarding dethatching most high end landscaping crews who service Bermuda dethatch on an annual basis as do golf courses. Your statement clarifies and I urge the readers to research that I'm correct in dethatching Bermuda TW knows it and I seriously doubt he will comment otherwise if he does I would be surprised as it is advised to dethatch Bermuda every year.

There are 10-1 experts that state this that have overwhelming credentials vs you me or TW Prove me wrong !

My qualifications? Not sure don't claim to have any I have completed the NC Cooperative extension master gardener course and have raised a variety of vegetables flowers etc.

I grow Tomatoes from seed many heirloom varieties also grow the Unique Red Savina Habanero Pepper which can only be grown from seed. So my seed propagation experience and gardening is somewhat the approach I take to lawn care.

I immerse myself into the product I grow and learn as much as possible. I base everything on fact and I also explain what I do down to the detail and I don't state my way is the gospel by no means.

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

Thanks dchall!! I don't get the hostile atmosphere here I'm very open with my schedule and seem to get killed on every comment I make. It's like you're either Texas Weed or nothing? I've posted a lot photos and plan to in the up coming weeks I think the proof is in the photos.

Thanks again dchall

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

We get defensive about our lawns and lawn gurus. TW knows how to grow a world class bermuda lawn, because he has been a bermuda sod farmer for many years. However, not everyone wants that or can afford it. We should have the patience, knowledge, and ability to communicate how to take care of a lawn no matter what grass/weeds you are blessed with.

Again I do not sanction the idea of purposely reseeding into TIF 419. Why? Because it introduces a grass with different color, texture, growth habit, mowing height, and seed heads. On a normal day around here we would call that a weedy lawn. But you have developed a way to make the best of the situation. I'd like to know more about how you do it (not in this thread, though).

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

dchall,

I have been posting the photos on the dethatching thread but may start a different one once the yard has recovered to show the mix of Tiffway and Yukon honestly I can't tell.

Thanks again for the common sense dialog.