Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I fried my lawn with stormwindows

Posted by WalkaboutJim none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 18:20

Thought I'd share this lawn disaster. Somehow it didn't dawn on me that putting the stormwindows down on the lawn to dry would fry the grass beneath them, but in the Atlanta sun, in only took an hour.

Here's the evidence. I'm earning (I hope) from my mistakes!

http://www.youtube.com/user/walkaboutjim#p/a/u/0/VY28mKFZew4

I've learned so much here...thought I'd share this stupid goof.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I fried my lawn with stormwindows

If that is fescue then you are done for the season. I guess you could resod. If not, then seed again at the end of summer.

o

That was entertaining. Glad you can take such a lighthearted view of this mistake. Sorry about your lawn. If you want to try and get those spots to blend in better with the rest of your lawn, you could go to your John Deere Landscapes/Lesco store and get some green turf paint and apply it to those areas. Just a thought.

o
RE: I fried my lawn with storm windows

A great opportunity to plant a garden in that spot..
Now, what we need is some round windows, 6 to 9 feet in diameter.

o

Just cover the rest of the lawn in sheet plastic to solarize the rest of your lawn. Remove it around the end of August and you will have a nice sterile seed bed to replant and be weed free for a while.

o

I've done a similar thing. Not fun. I didn't watch the video, so I don't know how burned it is, but windows (or metal for that fact) will cook the yard fast! Mine came back the times that I did it though. You may want to consider watching and waiting. Again, I didn't see it for sure, but maybe...?

o

Last month I hosed off a dirty tarp I had covering some mulch I had delivered. I left it out to dry on the lawn for just over an hour midday, and it burned the lawn so I had a big brown spot. I watered it and it came back after a few weeks. We have had a relatively wet late spring here in central VA however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here