Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone please Identify this Weed for me?

Posted by BehroozAraz Georgia (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 18:23

Hoping someone can identify this weed or wild grass for me so i can figure out how to kill it. This stuff is nasty, it spreads like wild fire and grows almost an inch per day. Its roots are deep and BIG. Of course pulling these would be ideal but there's hundreds of them in my lawn and you need a shovel to get them out. I'm gonna put a link to a picture i took of the weed. This is one day after mowing the lawn. It starts as a couple of tall little grass-like blades, then explodes into 30-40 blades and grows very tall. The middle is almost like a straw texture. And the fully grown ones in the non sodded part of my yard are nearly 5 foot tall and all brown like straw.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/photozku.jpg/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone please Identify this Weed for me?

Here is your picture.
You certainly have a bunch of them. Without going to the
trouble of identifying it, I would buy a Weed Hound tool
and pluck them out. -see more thoughts below the picture.

You also have a disease on your grass. You might have two diseases.
One is gray leaf spot. The other might be take-all patch,
or take all root rot. If the dead blades show signs of spots,
then you might not have the take-all disease.
In addition I'm guessing you have not
kept up with fertilizer this year and possibly water.

o

I've fertilized regularly this whole year. This spot looks kinda grim because this weed takes all of the nutrients and water away from my bermuda. We're in a drought right now so i water whenever i'm allowed. Weed hound tool would be good if there were only a couple. But there are hundreds, i'm looking to do a liquid type weed treatment. But i need to know what it is.

o

Have you seen the weed growing out in the wild?
It would be better to have a picture of it taller
and with seed heads.

o

Mowed Nutsedge maybe?

You need to sharpen your mower blade too....just sayin'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here