Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abandoned lawn

Posted by myjasminebaby Houston (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 18:27

I plan on purchasing an acre of land that is in a wooded area. The tenant died 2 years ago, and no one has mowed or tended to it at all. It is impossible to walk around the whole property but from what I can see, there is very little grass, if any, and tons of tall weeds and bushy weeds have taken over. We plan on getting a brush hog in there to initially cut it all down because it's nothing our mower can handle.

My question is: then what? I have always rented and really have no idea how to revamp a yard like this. Do I have to kill off all of the weeds with Round-up? Will this kill grass or other plants that I want to keep? Nearly the whole acre is covered in weeds,so how do I cover such a large area? Then how do I get new grass growing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abandoned lawn

Do I have to kill off all of the weeds with Round-up? No.

Will this kill grass or other plants that I want to keep? Glyphosate (the generic "roundup" will kill almost anything it is applied to if it's actively growing. It doesn't know what you want to keep.

Nearly the whole acre is covered in weeds,so how do I cover such a large area? Take advantage of the opportunity to reduce the amount of lawn you have to take care of by setting up shrub areas, native grass meadow area, more trees, and flower beds.

They are more work in the beginning, but they don't need weekly mowing.

Then how do I get new grass growing? Don't, until you have a good landscape plan. Just mow the weeds short.

========
Here's what I would do ... get a friend who can identify plants and figure out what you have that is truly a "weed" versus worth keeping.

Draw up a "what I want to end up with" plan ... the areas for entertaining, vegetable gardens, kids play area, etc.

Accept that you will kill yourself if you try to get it all done this summer ... and probably can't afford professionals.

Is there a house on this land? If you plan to build, don't waste any time or energy on a lawn until after the build is over.

o
RE: Abandoned lawn

Can you post a picture? You said it was a wooded area. What does that mean? How much shade is in there? Shade will limit your possibilities.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here