Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srgunmas

Compost tea in sprinkler system

srgunmas
10 years ago

I have been practicing organic lawn care for a few years now with awesome results. And, as many males understand, there is always some tinkering to do with any project we pick up.

My latest "thought" is to investigate the possibility of using my underground sprinkler system to apply compost tea...

The thought started with some applications I saw with syphon brass fitting you put on you spicket that would syphon from a 5 gallon bucket of tea and apply through manual sprinklers.

I was thinking of trying to utilize a similar set up using the valve that you would connect to blow out your sprinklers for the winter.

I have also begun reading a little about CU developing their own compost tea brew setup and running it through the campus' sprinklers. That system, while awesome, would be a little more work for the average enthusiast, but definitely something to study.

Does anyone have any information they can post, or links that would be helpful in this matter?

Comments (5)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Since you have been organic for awhile I don't think you are going to see any benefit to compost tea. At least I didn't. Once you get all the microbe populations churning in the soil, adding more microbes from compost tea doesn't help. ...and especially with tea brewed in the summer heat. Water above 75 degrees F barely holds enough oxygen to support life. Since the entire purpose of compost tea is to multiply the number of microbes in the tea, warm tea is a waste of effort.

But I like your idea of adding nutrients through the sprinkler. The other problem with compost tea is getting it filtered enough to not clog the nozzles.

• srgunmas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I suppose I should have mentioned something before too.... :P

We actually recently moved to a new house, so the entire organic process will need to start over for me again.

And I do understand that eventually organically we get to a point where the benefits of compost tea are certainly limited if not non-existant. However, I'm also thinking that it would be an interesting way to apply fertilizer too. Hydroponics apply fertilizer in the same manner, sort of.... where they will take straight granulated fertilizer and mix it proportionately with the irrigation. At least, that is what I've seen in some large scale tomato/cucumber operations where the seeds are planted into volcanic ash blocks.....

It just seems to me that the irrigation system could be used so much more efficiently than just to spray with water.... Compost tea, liquid organic fertilizers, etc. Just a thought....

What I'd really like to do is get more background in the ideas that the University of Colorado has in the system they are using. Even though it's a robust operation, I think it can be tweaked for the home lawn enthusist.....

• neilaz
    10 years ago

Check this link. It will have what you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizer systems

• srgunmas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, that is almost actually is exactly what I was looking for....

I'm surprised a little that something like this isn't something that is standard in normal irrigation systems..... just seems to logical to not have it everywhere....
    Thanks Neilaz!

• PRO
    Beringer Fine Homes
    7 years ago

Hello srgunmas, I came across this searching for compost tea irrigation. Did you get your system up and running and do you use fertilizer tea in the injection system? I was thinking the exact same thing to distribute fertilizer through the sprinker system.