Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanfrank

Zoysia Dollar Spot???

oceanfrank
10 years ago

Okay this is the second year in a row that I have encountered this issue. First Year, we had a beautiful lawn, second year though we got this disease. Was signed up for a lawn program, but their solution was to keep applying nitrogen, as they said that was the solution for Dollar Spot. I said, it sounds like you are trying to get the Zoyzia to grow new stems to replace the old ones, but cure the problem. None the less they finally gave in and came back and sprayed a fungicide and in a week it cleared up. Same thing happen in the fall, but I stop using the service because they were applying nitrogen every two months (or six times a year) and I was having to cut the lawn twice a week.
Now this spring comes and the same fungus has appeared again.

This cannot just be coincidence. I have read, apply more nitrogen, other sites say less, some sites say water more, others lessâ¦.you get the pictureâ¦so I thought I would give you experts a try.

Currently the lawn is kept at 2-2.5 inches as my lawn mower only has intervals of .75, 1.25, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5. Each spring I cut and bag at 1.25 and let it grow back to 2.5 before I cut it back to 2â for the summer. I apply Scott Southern Turf Builder (32,0,10) in March, and was going to do it again this week, but held off till I hear back. Also I water once a week, for about 1/2" per zone. There are three other lawns on the street that let theirs grow to 3-4 inches, never bag, never thatch and bag in the spring, and they have no problems. Hence my frustration. Seems like I am doing more work, for more hassle.

Any thoughts on how to control this stuff.. really making me regret installing it, even though I love it when it is not infected.

{{gwi:101816}}

{{gwi:101817}}

{{gwi:101818}}

{{gwi:101819}}

Comments (3)