Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pugloverzone6

Growing Grass

PugLoverZone6
10 years ago

I recently moved to a new duplex with a back yard that has very minimal grass. Our backyard is covered completely by a very large, old tree. Our backyard will only get sunlight mainly in the morning & evening & it is still a small amount.

With two small dogs, my neighbor & I decided to plant grass seed & attempt to get more grass. Half the yard was covered in leaves for a very long time & when I raked it all up, it was almost compost like.

After raking it up, we planted a Pennington's dense shade grass seed and watered it frequently. It finally started to grow after a couple of weeks and was looking really good!!!! We had some spots that did not take, we replanted the spots with no grass growing.

We have received a LOT of rain so far this year and our grass is disappearing. It never really had the chance to develop deep roots to stay in the ground and I am not sure why it will not stay when it was doing so well!

Here is what I am trying to understand:
Our dirt is VERY dark and soft, it is not hard & compacted, is it too soft?
Could the rain have been too much for the grass?
We didn't properly "aerate" before seeding, would that make it not stay?
The old tree leaves a lot of branches/leaves so I was trying to "lightly" rake them up so the ground would get the most sunlight etc. Was this wrong?
With there still being some new grass still there & the older grass, would it be worth it to properly aerate & re seed "properly"?

Any help would be appreciated!

Comment (1)