sef445

Anyone use the Rapitest Soil Test Kit?

sef445
11 years ago

Is it worth $15?

Comments (9)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Nope. For 5 dollars more you can have a professional soil test, takes about a week turnaround. www.loganlabs.com basic soil test.

• sef445
    Original Author
    11 years ago

But this kit can be used over and over again. Just thought it may be nice to have in between professional test.

Is s the loganlabs a mail out test? Is it one sample for $20?

• tiemco
    11 years ago

You generally only need to test your soil once a year. Yes, you have to mail your soil to Logan Labs. Yes, one sample, but that one sample is for the whole yard. It's your money and yard, you can do what you want, but if you want an accurate test done by a soil lab, that will give you real amounts of macro and micro nutrients in your yard as well as other important information then go with Logan. If you want a test that may or may not give you accurate info, get the Rapitest.

• sef445
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tiemco thanks for the info,

I have a question about soil testing if you can help. I have 3 distinct ares of lawn on my property. Front yard, rear fenced in yard, and area along driveway. My rear yard is mostly KBG, front is a blend of pretty much everything, and along driveway is mostly KBG but some spots of other turf grasses. The 3 areas are not really close to each other and also have different trees growing in the areas including pines (not white pine) near the driveway. Front yard also has a septic system. I started taking care of the lawn earlier this year and want to get a soil test done so I know what's needed for each area. I'm guessing that I need to get 3 separate test done. Is this correct? This is why I was asking about the Rapitest. $15 is a lot less than $60. Thanks again.

• tiemco
    11 years ago

If the areas are distinctly different, then it would be a good idea to test them separately. I get that fact that you want to save $45, but my opinion of Rapitest stands.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

May I make a suggestion. Unless the areas have different soils or were used for different purposes in the past, Like the back was used as a corral and the front as crop land, the soil is likely to all have the same characteristics at the root zone and only one test is going to be needed. I've used the Rapitest and was disapointed in it's accuracy--very subjective--very ballpark. But go ahead and use it to determine if the distinct areas are truly distinct. Then get a soil test from Logan Labs so you have an accurate guide to go by. You might save yourself $25 with one Logan Test instead of three.

• sef445
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok so I think I can get by with 2 test from Logan. I'll do one of the front and back yards and one for the driveway area. Thanks for the responses. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

• mickbo
    11 years ago

Tiemco or others, I'm taking your advice and getting my soil tested via Logan Labs prior to my fall overseeding next month. Can you explain the process of how this sampling should be done? I looked at the Logan Labs website and it's kind of vague for a novice first timer. For example, they asked how many plastic bags for samples I needed. Then, they state, "Because of soil variations, it is necessary that each sample consist of small portions of soil obtained from approximately 15 locations in the soil area. After obtaining these portions of soil, mix them together for a representative sample." So, would I just need 1 sample taken from the front yard for example? And if so, would that give me a good idea of what's in the soil for my entire yard? Also, what's the best way of collecting a soil sample? Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• tiemco
    11 years ago

Here's what I do for my lawn. Using an apple corer I take 15-20 samples from the yard, trying to gett soil from most areas of the yard in an even fashion. With the corer I remove a 4 inch core of soil and put it aside. Then I take an inch of soil from the same hole and put that in a container. Then I put the 4 inch core back in the hole. You should have enough soil after taking 15 or 20 samples like this. Once you have all the soil you need mix it good and crush up all the clumps. Remove the rocks and large pieces of grass and roots. Put the soil in a ziplock bag, label the bag and send it to Logan with the lab sheet filled out and a check.