Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bermudatamer

Overseeding sodded Bermuda with Yukon

BermudaTamer
10 years ago

Asking how to over seed Sodded Bermuda is like asking how long is a piece of string. I have posted here that yes to the disbelief of many I have over seeded my Tiffway 419 with Yukon seed after aeration.

How I concluded I needed to overseed rather than allow the Bermuda to recover on its own.

1. Thinning areas not improving during summer
  2. Top dressing, fertilizing and adequate water not improving bare sections
    That have full sun.
  3. Quality of sod on other homes was questionable and showing similar
    Signs

To seed or sprig?

1. sprigs were not available in my area only sod from the same farm that I would have to make my own plugs and plant.
  2. Because there was growth in the thin areas I felt digging out areas to plug would cause more harm than good. (This was my opinion not based in any fact)
  3. Was there a seed close to the Tiffway that was easy to establish?

I decided that seeding after aeration was the best choice for me.
I chose Yukon based on the density as I mow at 1" and prefer the turf type look. You should do you own research as to the best seed for your lawn.

When I overseeded the first time it took about 3 weeks before there was any germination. Once July came around there wasn't a thin section to be found. I top dressed the large patchy areas with a mix of sand, topsoil and manure.

The Tiffway and Yukon seem to blend very well in my yard and I will post photos taken today after the rain. Note the quarter in the pics is gold not the normal silver kind.

This post was edited by BermudaTamer on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 22:36

Comments (6)