Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westtx731

Best grass for new lawn and how to get it

westtx731
10 years ago

I am about to build a new home in west Texas. Lubbock to be more specific. I will be finished with construction in December. I want a high quality fine bladed bermuda lawn. Seeing as how I will be finished in December, should I wait to lay sod until spring, and what type of bermuda should I use in Lubbock. I plan on putting in a private water well for irrigation so I can water as much as I want. I'm thinking probably Tiffway 419. Just wondering if there's something else that might be better. I'm also curious about sodding vs. sprigging.

Comments (4)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

There isn't any other kind of bermuda. Maybe if you were T Boone Pickens you could get the same turf used on a football field but you aren't. Besides TIF 419 only costs about $0.08 per mile of a strip. You almost can't afford not to use it.

Find the Bermuda Bible online and memorize it.

You don't need to water as much as you want. You only need to water as much as the grass needs. And speaking of T Boone Pickens, he probably owns your water so be careful where you drill a well.

Put Sparkman's Nursery into your GPS. It's going to become your new favorite shopping mall.

It always amuses me that all y'all up in Lubbock identify with West Texas, which is arguably 200 to 350 miles south of you, rather than with the Panhandle, which is about 15 miles north of you. [and it probably amuses the Yankees reading this that westtx731 will understand who 'all y'all' is and will understand all the other local references] By the way, when you visit Sparkman's, and not is not too soon, ask them about Turffalo or Tech Turf. It is a buffalo hybrid that can be cared for like bermuda but really does not need much of any care. The main difference between it and bermuda is the bermuda will become very dark green and the Turffalo will not. Sounds like you want to impress the neighbors with your lawn. If that is the case, you might hire Sparkman's to install it.

• westtx731
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was more inquiring about Tiff419 vs TiffSport and sodding vs sprigging for the best quality lawn. I've heard that sprigging might a more level surface and eliminate the need to use sand later. I have experience with sod and seeded lawns, but none with sprigs.

I am very familiar with the Bermuda Bible. You could say I follow it "religiously". ;) I really misspoke when I said I could water as much as I want. I was referring to the water restrictions you have to abide by if you are on city water (not to mention the cities ridiculous water rates). When they are in stage 2 you can't water as much as the turf requires. As a side note, ground water in Texas is the property of the landowner so T Boone can kiss my ass! Haha.

I do go to Sparkmans on occasion. I've actually found the local John Deer irrigation supply to have better fertilizer though. Fortunately, I have the best landscapers in town. They do an amazing job raking and leveling. I would be afraid to see what Sparkman's would charge to do sod.

I'm not really interested in the Turffalo or Tech Turf, although I have seen it and it's not bad. Just not the look I'm going for. I really enjoy caring for my lawn. I'm a workaholic, and the time I spend tending to my lawn is my time to unwind. I find it to be very relaxing and rewarding. If the neighbors get a little jealous, well, that's just an added bonus! I think you can tell a lot about a man by looking at his lawn. I've worked very hard for what I have and I like to come home after a long days work and see a nice, green, well manicured lawn. Something tells me I'm not the only one here that feels that way. :)

I've lived here my whole life and it's always been considered west Texas as far as I know. Your guess is as good as mine as to why.

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

I'm thinking probably Tiffway 419. Just wondering if there's something else that might be better.

You can find a different variety of Bermuda other than Tifway-I (aka Tif 419), but you will not find better then 419 for the price.

If you do not mind spending a bit more, then move up to TifSport Bermuda. It has a finer texture, darker green, better drought resistance, and better cold tolerance than 419. The only downside with TifSport (or upside depending on your POV) is TifSport is more aggressive than 419 which makes it an excellent choice for golf fairways and sports fields. It is tough as nails on wear resistance, and repairs itself very quickly from things like divots or gouges on sports fields.

The trick to having a great looking Bermuda lawn regardless of variety, requires maintenance. Bermuda needs cut at least twice a week, more frequently is kept below one inch, and is always hungry for nitrogen. So if mowing 2 or 3 times a week and monthly fertilizing is not what you had in mind look elsewhere. YOu will also need irrigation to keep Bermuda in top shape. It is the most drought tolerant of the warm season grasses, except for Buffalo, needs to be watered to stay deep emerald green. Otherwise the color will fade and possible go dormant if to real dry.

• westtx731
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Texas-weed. I definitely don't mind the maintenance. My current lawn I seeded with Princess77 and I mow it with a reel every Wednesday and Sunday (sometimes 3 times a week if needed). I'll check into the Tifsport although I imagine I would have to get it out of the Dallas area. I don't think our local sod farm has any.

Do you think it is worth sprigging or just lay sod and plan on using sand to level it up good? Also, if I finish the house in December should I wait until spring (after the last freeze) to lay the sod or go ahead and lay it while it's dormant? I've been building housed for over 10 years and it seems that a lot of the lawns done in winter always seem to struggle. It might just be that they're not caring for it properly though.