Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarheel_fan

Trying to take care of a neglected lawn(long story, sorry)

tarheel_fan
10 years ago

Hello everyone. This site is so much help. I have a few questions and concerns. Sorry this is so long, just want to make sure you guys have the info to access my problem. I just bought a new home march of this year that has been empty for two years. The only thing that was done to the yard over that time was someone cut the grass. Don't know how often thou. The grass that I have is a Bermuda hybrid I believe. It was rolled out in sod. I posted some pics of seed heads that have poped up over the last month and someone on here told me I have common mixed in with it. I have seen common Bermuda seed heads and they look tall and have 4 prongs. Mine are short and have 3 prongs. I hope he was wrong and my tifway is making seed heads because it is really stressed which can happen I read. The grass took all the way to mid may before it almost completely greened up. After it greened up I core aerated it all over good because I have water pooling in serveral places. After that I fertilized my yard for the first time. I went to cardinal chemical and the "turf pro" recommended I put out two 50 lbs bag of 24-5-11. I have around 20,000 sq ft. of yard approximately. He also gave me some triplet to get rid of this weed poping up all over my yard. Told me to mix one oz to a gallon on it. After about a week went by I noticed burn spots around the yard. Guess I didn't run the sprinklers long enough after I put out the fertilizer. I also have a lot of weeds poping up now from aerating it. I read weed b gone max was good and sprayed yard with hose end sprayer. Now my yard has faded in color(from weed b gone)and has spots from fertilizer burn and the places I sprayed the triplet has turned that grass light brown too. All I want is a deep dark green thick lawn. I go back two days ago to get more fertilizer and pro gives me two 50 lbs bags of 24-5-11 again. I have been cutting grass around 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 because I have quite a few lumps around my lawn and I have scalped it in several places. Those spots aren't green also :( I have a ant problem in my yard. They are making mounds all over the yard. Makes my grass problem worse. I was wanting to lay out sand next week to level my yard but I'm scard if I do that it will further hurt my lawn. I don't know what to do at this point other than just wait. Should I hold off till next year for the leveling job? What is a good way to get rid of my ant problem. I think they are fire ants. What can I do to get my lawn green? Any tips and pointers you can give me? What are some of the things you would do to get this yard looking good. I have the Bermuda bible and plan on following it. I appreciate y'all's help. Thanks. Eric.

{{gwi:102601}}
My yard

{{gwi:102602}}
Another view of my yard. See it's not green.

{{gwi:102603}}
Closer shot of the brown areas

{{gwi:102604}}
One of the places I sprayed triplet to kill this type of weed poping up overt lawn.

{{gwi:102605}}
Close up of how I wish all my grass looked like.

{{gwi:102606}}
Seed head of what I hope is just stressed hybrid. Confirm this If you can.

{{gwi:102600}}