Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

soybean meal bag

v1rt
16 years ago

hey folks,

Can you please post a picture of your 50 lbs soybeal meal bag? I just want to see the percentage of ingredients.

Thanks,

Ron

Comments (18)

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

Percentage of ingredients? Well if it is SBM, it is 100% SBM. What are you asking for?

• rollerzeke
    16 years ago

Hello all.

I have found a few kernels of whole corn in my SBM :) :)

Good day.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi texas-weed.

I bought CGM before and I was told that I have to make sure that the CGM has 60% protein. So, I also want to make sure that when I buy the SBM, I have the correct percentage of whatever it would be. I don't know if there is really something that I should be aware of.

Thanks,

Ron

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

OK that makes a little more since. SBM will run between 42 and 46% protien. There are even some super varieties that go as high as 48 to 49% that is used as OIL stock for Diesel production, but you are not going to find it for animal feed use.

The point here is, you take what you get b/c SBM is SBM. The range of 42 to 46 isn't going to make a bit of difference for organic fertilizer application rates.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great! I'm heading out later to buy it and also drop by at Starbucks to get some coffee grounds.

I'll post a picture later of the bag. Hopefully, if I have some extra time this early evening, I will apply it.

Thanks buddy!

Ron

• theyardbird
    16 years ago

I was just looking through old posts and ran across a post by OKCDan. Here's a pic he took of his soybean meal bag:

{{gwi:102650}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was planning to buy today but I forgot, it's not yet payday. Have to wait until Friday. :)

Thanks for the pic!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Got mine today. $8.20 dollars/50lbs. :)

• theyardbird
    16 years ago

I get mine at the local mill for $5.50/50lb bag. I think I still have a label floating around from the last time I purchased the stuff...I'll try to get a pic tonight.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a real steal. The feed store here about 8miles from my house sells it at $11.20. However, if I get it at Ludwig, I can get it at $8.99, however, one way is 33 miles. I don't think it's worth saving the difference.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Wow Yardbird, that is CHEAP and to think that mine is dirt cheap considering the prices in other places in Texas. I get them directly from Boyce Feed and Grain that does their own milling/packaging so no middle man. You're really lucky!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So guys from Northern IL, other direct feed store other than Ludwig that I can contact?

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I finally bought soybean meal yesterday. I applied it this morning. I also took a picture of how it looks like.
    I would like to know if the soybean meal I bought it correct. From another post, I saw a soybean meal from a spreader and it doesn't look yellowish. Can someone please tell me if I'm ok. Thanks.

PICTURES TAKEN LAST NIGHT IN GARAGE

{{gwi:102653}}

{{gwi:102655}}

{{gwi:102657}}

{{gwi:102659}}

PICTURES TAKEN THIS MORNING

{{gwi:102660}}

{{gwi:102661}}

• jlaak5
    16 years ago

Just curious what setting you keep your spreader at when applying the SBM? I have a Scotts speedy green 1000

• theyardbird
    16 years ago

Looks exactly like it's supposed to. Go forth and spread it!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is my method. Based from the info I have gathered, SBM should be spread at 14lbs/1000sqft. I bought 150 lbs(3 50 lbs bag) since my lawn is 10000sqft. My spreader setting is at 7. I was able to complete the whole lawn and still have about 15 lbs left. I went back to the front again to spread the remaining. I'm not worried about overspreading since nitrogen is only released when the food is consumed by the microbes.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Your lawn looks nice and thick. Are you sure you need soybean? Be prepared to mow more often in 2-3 weeks! I went easy on soybean this time around. 50lbs for probably 6000 sqft... I did 150 lbs of soybean, 150 of alfalfa pellets, 150lbs of corn meal in March.

Boy, that did the trick.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Lou! :)

Yes, I think I need to put some now. Some parts are becoming light green. I actually mow twice a week. I really hated mowing in the old house because I didn't know the proper lawn care. In the old house, I always bag. It was quite a PITA. I'm very glad that I found this forum. If not, I would still be bagging upto this day.

I promise auteck that I will take a picture today but failed to mow.

Anyways, here is what I had so far:

200 lbs of CGM on April 4
    200 lbs of CM on APril 28
    150 lbs of SBM on June 16

Tomorrow, I will be applying my AACT around 6am. Perfect for the microbes since it's cooler in the morning.

I'll keep you guys posted. :)

Thanks!

Ron