Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
squishy sod

Posted by treelessinmn none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 22:34

A year ago we lost a tree in a bad wind storm. After the tree and stump were removed, the contractor laid sod over the area where the tree fell. I watered it and it's growing great. My only problem is that it's squishy. Even when it's dry, it feels like I'm walking on a sponge. That area is also nearly impossible to mow, even on the highest setting. Any ideas on how to fix this? Should I start from scratch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: squishy sod

"Sod over the area where the tree fell." What does that mean? You mean where the stump was or where the tree landed? I assume you mean where the stump was. What he likely did was grind the stump and leave the wood chips in the hole. That will be a problem. ALL the wood needs to be removed and replaced with topsoil or sand. You will have a problem for decades if you do not remove it.

o

Let me clarify - the sod is over the hole where the stump was removed and an area of the lawn that was damaged from the equipment they used. they did fill the hole with soil.

o

I'm stumped...heh heh.

It should not be squishy if they used real topsoil or sand. If they added any organic matter like sawdust, mulch or compost, then it will be squishy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here