Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with brown patches in lawn

Posted by menting Idaho (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 23:27

Hi, my lawn was just installed using sod in early April, and it was looking fine until about a month ago. There are now large patches of brown in my lawn (attached pic shows one of those patches. I'm not sure how to upload more pictures in the same post), and I have no idea what the cause of that is.

I have pressurized irrigation, and I thought these patches might be because it was too try, so I cranked up the watering a bit, but it didn't seem to help. I even tried to use a hose on those patches after the sprinklers, and it didn't seem to help either. I fertilized the whole lawn a few weeks ago, but it didn't seem to help either. I also wondered if I was cutting it too short (2.25in), so I bumped it up to 3in, but it didn't seem to do any good, as the grass didn't even grow high enough to be cut at even 2.25in

The lawn is a mix of kentucky bluegrass and ryegrass, and I'm located in Boise, Idaho.

Any suggestions for steps to take to narrow down the issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

This post was edited by menting on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 23:37

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with brown patches in lawn

Not sure if this will be of any help, but this is a closer up photo of the brown patch.

o
Need help with brown patches in lawn (another brown patch pic)

this is the pic of another brown patch

o

It could be too wet. What did you bump your schedule from and to?

o

I was watering 2 times a day, 18 minutes starting at 6:45am, then 10 minutes at about 4pm, since the weather gets to be about 90F then. I'm not sure how many inches that translates into.
I've since cut down to only 18 minutes every morning at 6:45am now. The top of the soil seems pretty dry after i get off work every day if I don't give it some water in the afternoon, so I'm really scared of only watering it like once every 3 days or longer as recommended.

This is my first time owning a house and a yard, so I'm probably overwatering like crazy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here