Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756168

New yard, need some help.

User
9 years ago

Hello,

First off I wanted to thank this forum for all the great information. I have learned a lot and will to continue to learn as I read through posts.

Little background. I just bought my first house and had it built. It has SOD in the front and they seeded the backyard in early May. I have mowed front about 8 times and the back about 4 times. Both look to be coming in well for the exception of weeds which I'm sure is to be expected.

To my questions. Where should I start if my goal is to have a 'envy of the neighbor' yard? Weed control or fertilize? I have a handful of broad leaf, oxalis, and other clover type (white and yellow flowers). The oxalis and like weeds are primarily in SOD and the broad leaf stuff in the seed areas.

It's middle of June, and although we have had a good amount of rain this year, I know the typical July heat/draught isn't too far away.

I would like to get my soil test, but in the meantime what would your suggestions be? Attack weeds first, fertilize few weeks later? Vice versa.

Thanks in advance,

Tyler

Comments (8)

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

Any idea what type of turf was sodded and planted?
    Regardless, you should concentrate on the weeds. Use Weed B Gone CCO and follow the directions. If you want to fertilize, stick with organics until late summer.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't be 100% certain, but I believe the grass is Kentucky Blurgrass. I only make this assumption by comparing pictures online.

Thanks for your suggestion on the weed killer product.

Can you elaborate on your organic recommendation? The why organic now, but non-organic late summer. Are there any formulary ie- xx-xx-xx when it comes to organics? Any specific product recommendation?

Thanks again for your response and time.

• beckyinrichmond
    9 years ago

Milorganite is an organic fertilizer that can be used in the summer. The regular fertilizers would put too much stress in the grass during the hot summer. It may still be best to hold off on any fertilizer until September. Learn about proper watering and mowing practices and get your soil test done.

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

Lol. Sure, I can elaborate. I didn't actually say to use synthetics in late summer. I advised that they be avoided during the summer. Some people use nothing but organics year around with good results. That being said, I do switch over.
    Here's my rational for cool season grass (specifically KB) in a "northern" climate:
    1. Fertilization should be applied to target the growth cycle of the turf. Turf uses and needs more fertilizer when growing roots or tillering. Root growth drops dramatically once soil temperatures reach 65F. and shoot (rhizome- spreading and fill-in) growth drops dramatically at 75F. These temps usually occur between late spring and early fall. During summer, the fertilizer needs drop off.
    2. During the summer, the active (at least until temps exceed 90+F.) part of the turf is the blades (topgrowth). Fertilizer (NPK) are still important for aesthetic and turf health but needs are reduced. If there has been a late spring early summer application, there should be enough nutrients stored in the soil to supply summer turf requirements, especially if the turf goes dormant. In a high maintenance lawn, a light addition of fertilizer might be needed, but studies have shown that over application of N during summer results in higher incidence of disease. If synthetics are used, they add salts to the soil-not something turf needs during periods of heat and reduced moisture.
    3. Organics are a great source for nutrients during the summer, there just isn't any adverse effects reported with their use. ( I am on thin ice explaining this or how their NPK ( they are single digit in N and can be very low or void of P&K) content differs from synthetics so I'll ask the organic folks to explain). With organics, there isn't the salts problem as with synthetics. They promote microorganisms that help reduce thatch, disease and insect problems AND they add OM to the soil which improves soil retention of moisture and nutrients. Synthetics will do none of that.
    4. My issue with organics is that they are environment (temp and moisture) dependent and although it may be likely that they have "banked" sufficient nutrients for rooting and spreading in the cooler months, I like synthetics in the spring and fall. With synthetics, I know I am supplying the turf with sufficient NPK in spring to promote spreading and in the fall to promote root growth and winterization.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Definitely weed control ASAP so they don't go from a few scouts to an invading army.

• beckyinrichmond
    9 years ago

On weed control, be sure to follow directions. Weed B Gon CCO shouldn't be used when temperatures are above 90. It can volatize and drift and kill plants you don't want killed. Also, instead of aiming for "envy of the neighborhood," right now I'd aim for survival instead. KBG planted in the spring probably won't have enough roots to survive through the summer, and in September you will probably be overseeding. If you're not sure what kind of grass you have, ask the people who put it in for you. They should have records.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I will definitely be prioritizing weed control first. Thanks for the feedback on the specific product.

The "envy of the neighborhood" was a long term goal, I know it's a process. I was just looking for a good start and hope to make it through the hot summer months with little issues.

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

As beckybeck said, neither your sod not the seeded grass is going to have much of a root system yet. A few things you can do to help it through summer would be to keep an eye on it for signs of water stress and water every 3-4 days when rain is absent. Using an organic fertilizer will create a layer of insulation on the soil and help the soil retain moisture. Mow as high, as high as possible without the blades laying down to help shade the soil.
    Good luck.