Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement blades

Posted by timtsb none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 0:36

I have a new Lawnboy mower (not my first pick but I got it for free) and I generally have to mow very slowly to prevent grass from clumping. I'm thinking about replacing the blade with an aftermarket mulching blade. Does anybody have experience with this? Will it make much of a difference? Specifically I'm looking at the Maxpower blade I found on Amazon that seems to have good reviews...link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mulching blade

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement blades

have you tried to raise your wheels on your mower?

o

If you have a bench grinding wheel, you can put a razor edge on the blade (its impossible to have the blade too sharp). I find that even new store bought blades are too dull for my taste. I have two sets of blades, I swap out the sets about twice during the summer and sharpen the other set in my free time. When I put the new set on, I get zero clumping, even when the grass is wet. When I start to see clumping, I swap the blades.
Most towns have a small engine shop that will put a razor edge on the blades for a few bucks a blade. If you buy a good thick blade you can get 15+ sharpinings out of a blade.
If they give you the blade back and it has the slightest rounded edge, its not sharp enough.

o

Tip speed of the blade will also factor into clumping. A faster tip speed will reduce clumping. Another factor is how much of the grass blades you cut. If you wait too long and cut too much grass it will clump up. The general rule is to cut no more than 1/3 of the grass blade. Also, cutting wet grass will clump more so it's best to wait until the grass is dry to mow.

That being said, I'm assuming you have a standard push mower so the blade tip speed is what it is. Some mower designs will clump worse than others. I guess it's the deck design that's the issue. Keeping the blade sharp will help and is also better for the grass. I sharpen my blades about once per month. Doing it this frequently I use a flat file and only takes 15 to 20 minutes for all 3 blades. Even with sharp blades clumping will still be a problem if you mow wet grass or cut too much.

o

I already mow my lawn high, and rarely let it get too long. I mowed Thurs and yesterday (Monday) and there was some clumping. I'll try sharpening the blade before buying a new one.

It sounds like nobody has experience trying one of these specialty blades?

o

i've tried a similar blade
http://www.gatorblade.com/
but i tell you my stock 3-1 blade does a better job

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here