Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snaillover_gw

Turning weedy area into a lawn

I just bought a house with a fenced-in area on the side that was once a dog run. Due to neglect, this area is now overrun with weeds. I had it mowed down, but it's very stubbly and my dog doesn't like walking on it. How do I go about converting it back to a nice grassy lawn? Do I kill the weeds off first, or seed grass and then kill weeds?

Two sides of this area is thickly wooded. I want to put in some type of edging to separate the wild area, add some shrubs and flowers in front of the trees, then put in a stone pathway down the middle. I have visions of an English garden. It may take me a few summers to get there. For now, I just want to get the grass going again so my dog doesn't tiptoe over it and give me dirty looks.

Comments (5)

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Where do you live?
    Do you have a type of grass in mind?
    Is this area shady?
    How big is the dog and how active?

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in northern Michigan, zone 5. I do have it in my profile but for some reason it doesn't show up by my name.

Small dog - shih tzu/cairn terrier mix. He isn't outside all day, just to do his business or play, chase chipmunks or whatever. He has a tendency to run off (was a shelter dog), so that's why I need to put him in the fenced area.

I call it a dog run because it had a kennel in it, which I gave away, but it's really the whole side of my house, which is about 50' x 30' and borders the woods. I want to make it an extension of my yard.

As for grass, I don't know what kind. It gets about 50% sun. Any suggestions?

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

if you are in a rural area you should consider what you will be loosing with a dog in the yard. When we moved in two years ago our neighbors had two large dogs in a fenced area of their back yard. This spring they moved out and took the dogs.

While we would occasionally see deer before they left, we are now seeing them on nearly a daily basis. Yesterday a doe and her twin fawns came into the yard where she nursed them. The fawns are only about 18" high, not much taller that the small azaleas we planted last year.

For the last month we have had a young hawk in our yard on a daily basis. I was surprised at the number of insects the hawk eats, I had always consider them eating mice, birds, etc.

While dogs are nice, having the deer, hawks, squirrels, numerous different small birds makes the back yard pleasant.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

Wait until mid August to start this project. It is too hot now.
    Fescue is the only grass choice for that much shade. It is not very forgiving of dog digging or wear and tear so just know that in advance. Get the project going in August to give yourself time to add more seed if you see thin spots.

1. Fertilize the weeds so they will die quickly
    2. Kill the weeds with Round Up which will kill anything it gets on
    3. Water the area every day as if you were trying to sprout seeds
    4. After a week of daily watering, spray the new weeds with Round Up.
    5. Wait a few days, rake up any dead foliage, and seed. Roll the seed down with a water roller to make good contact with the soil.
    6. Water 3x per day for 5 minutes to keep the seed moist. Fescue seed should spout in 2 weeks.
    7. Mow when the new grass is 4-5 inches tall. Mow it down to 3.5 to 4 inches.
    8. After you have mowed for the second time, you can apply a synthetic fertilizer. Or you can apply organic fertilizer any time.

After you have mowed the grass once you can start to back off on the frequency of watering and increase the duration. By that time of year your goal will be to water 1 inch of water, all at one time, every 2-3 weeks. It might take some time to get there but that is the goal. Next year you will gradually move from monthly watering up to weekly watering as the temps increase.

• SnailLover (MI - zone 5a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you dchall, I appreciate the advice. Will save these instructions for later in the summer.