Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdaystrom

Herbicide for killing Bahia in St. Augustine

rdaystrom
16 years ago

Can someone recommend a herbicide for killing Bahia grass that's infesting a St. Augustine lawn? Thanks

Comments (10)

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Image. Look in Lowes or similar store.
    Don't forget to use a pre-emergent next time around to keep that awful noxious garbage out of your st. frankenstein.

It will take a minimum of 2 applications. Give it time to work.

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

QQ, I do not think Image will do a thing to Bahai Grass. Certainly not a listed control on any of the documents. Image with Atrazine is OK to use on SA, but I don't think it will touch Bahai on a post mergence, maybe pre-emergence when used with Atrazine.

• heelsfan
    16 years ago

I did some looking online and couldn't really find anything either. Since Bahia grows quicker (at least at my house) and taller you could try painting the leaves with Round-Up or another total kill product.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Yes it certainly does. In the instructions that come with it, it lists bahia and my own results have provien it to be a selective p.e. in bermuda. took 2 apps.

• skoot_cat
    16 years ago

Is your S.A. new?

S.A. should be able to choke out the Bahia on its own. Bahia spreads by seed, where S.A. spreads by runners. If you mow high and water infrequently the S.A. should be able to grow thick and take over the Bahia. Its not a quick fix, your probably looking at next year for this to happen, but it will. I don't see the opposite happening, Bahia taking over S.A.

If you use a herbicide be Careful on S.A. Grass, especially in the heat of summer. Most herbicides are not labeled for S.A. and the will kill the weeds and your grass. Know for sure what variety of S.A. you have and read the product label very carefully to make sure it will work with your grass type

• heelsfan
    16 years ago

QQ, is regular Image (like I use on my Bermuda) safe for SA. I was thinking there is a separate IMAGE formula for SA, but I could be wrong (and probably am).

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

I was thinking there is a separate IMAGE formula for SA

Yes there is, it cantains one additional igredient, the only one safe of SA called Atrazine.

http://www.amdro.com/Image/St-Augustine/index.html

• texas_weed
    16 years ago

Just a friendly warning, it is too late in the year for post-emergence control products, and way too early for pre-emergence.

Spraying your SA right now is likely to kill it if your daytime temps are 90 or above.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Even in dense, actively growing bermuda, bahia can pop up in the grass.

heels... I use the "original for nutsedge"
    IMAGE Nutsedge Killer is labeled for use on Bermudagrass, St. Augustinegrass (DO NOT APPLY TO ST. AUGUSTINE FOR WINTER WEED CONTROL), Centipedegrass, and Zoysiagrass. It is formulated for use on warm-season turfgrasses in the following states: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, New Mexico, Nevada, Virginia, and Texas. IMAGE Nutsedge Killer can also be used effectively to control tough weeds growing in and around many ground covers and ornamental shrubs. (Consult label for complete listing).

anyway take a look at the label it says it "controls" bahia but it's not on the "kill" chart. Anyway it controlled the bahia I wanted it to by killing it.

Image isn't cheap so if you got on;y a few clumps of bahia just dig it out with a shovel or spray roundup and maybe sacifice a little st.aug in the process. If you got a big bahia problem, try this. And may the force be with you.

Here is a link that might be useful: big PDF file of label

• mscottw2
    16 years ago

I bought some today, so when the weather cools off a bit I will tell you how well it worked.