Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbicide for killing Bahia in St. Augustine

Posted by rdaystrom 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 6:11

Can someone recommend a herbicide for killing Bahia grass that's infesting a St. Augustine lawn? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbicide for killing Bahia in St. Augustine

Image. Look in Lowes or similar store.
Don't forget to use a pre-emergent next time around to keep that awful noxious garbage out of your st. frankenstein.

It will take a minimum of 2 applications. Give it time to work.

o

QQ, I do not think Image will do a thing to Bahai Grass. Certainly not a listed control on any of the documents. Image with Atrazine is OK to use on SA, but I don't think it will touch Bahai on a post mergence, maybe pre-emergence when used with Atrazine.

o

I did some looking online and couldn't really find anything either. Since Bahia grows quicker (at least at my house) and taller you could try painting the leaves with Round-Up or another total kill product.

o

Yes it certainly does. In the instructions that come with it, it lists bahia and my own results have provien it to be a selective p.e. in bermuda. took 2 apps.

o

Is your S.A. new?

S.A. should be able to choke out the Bahia on its own. Bahia spreads by seed, where S.A. spreads by runners. If you mow high and water infrequently the S.A. should be able to grow thick and take over the Bahia. Its not a quick fix, your probably looking at next year for this to happen, but it will. I don't see the opposite happening, Bahia taking over S.A.

If you use a herbicide be Careful on S.A. Grass, especially in the heat of summer. Most herbicides are not labeled for S.A. and the will kill the weeds and your grass. Know for sure what variety of S.A. you have and read the product label very carefully to make sure it will work with your grass type

o

QQ, is regular Image (like I use on my Bermuda) safe for SA. I was thinking there is a separate IMAGE formula for SA, but I could be wrong (and probably am).

o

I was thinking there is a separate IMAGE formula for SA

Yes there is, it cantains one additional igredient, the only one safe of SA called Atrazine.

http://www.amdro.com/Image/St-Augustine/index.html

o
Warning

Just a friendly warning, it is too late in the year for post-emergence control products, and way too early for pre-emergence.

Spraying your SA right now is likely to kill it if your daytime temps are 90 or above.

o

Even in dense, actively growing bermuda, bahia can pop up in the grass.

heels... I use the "original for nutsedge"

IMAGE Nutsedge Killer is labeled for use on Bermudagrass, St. Augustinegrass (DO NOT APPLY TO ST. AUGUSTINE FOR WINTER WEED CONTROL), Centipedegrass, and Zoysiagrass. It is formulated for use on warm-season turfgrasses in the following states: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, New Mexico, Nevada, Virginia, and Texas. IMAGE Nutsedge Killer can also be used effectively to control tough weeds growing in and around many ground covers and ornamental shrubs. (Consult label for complete listing).

anyway take a look at the label it says it "controls" bahia but it's not on the "kill" chart. Anyway it controlled the bahia I wanted it to by killing it.

Image isn't cheap so if you got on;y a few clumps of bahia just dig it out with a shovel or spray roundup and maybe sacifice a little st.aug in the process. If you got a big bahia problem, try this. And may the force be with you.

Here is a link that might be useful: big PDF file of label

o

I bought some today, so when the weather cools off a bit I will tell you how well it worked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here