Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wrong Herbicide

Posted by Bermudairmo none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 6:49

Guys I use a bag of weed and feed on my bermuda lawn designed for St. Augustine that included 1.38% of atriazine. Also the bag had 29-0-4 on it,

I have also included a photo from yesterday that shows the bermuda to be healthy. Did I kill my lawn or will it be able to with stand my mistake? Look forward to the feedback.

This post was edited by Bermudairmo on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 7:04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wrong Herbicide

Not only can Atrizine harm bermudagrass, but I'd be very concerned about any trees or shrubs that are planted where their roots mingle in the rhizosphere with the grass.

Atrizine is often recommended FOR St. Augustine to control broadleaf weeds and certain grasses. Actively growing bermuda is one of the grasses that can be controlled in St. Augustine.

You'll find all of the information you need on the label, especially the warnings.

I strongly urge you to research or get professional guidance regarding more appropriate pre-emergents. Ditch the 'weed and feeds' entirely in favor of timely and balanced separate fertilizer applications.

Your local Extension service is usually a good place to get lawn care advice...never a big box outlet.

o

I understand. I just picked up the wrong bag. But at such a low dosage of 1.38% active in a 14 lb bag applied to a full 5000 square foot lawn area will it be ok?

o

Wish I could help or even be encouraging. I've seen atrazine herbicides used on St Augustine, and it's pretty effective against everything, including bermuda. It takes awhile to see the results, but eventually they seem to get the job done. Here's something I could ask about. Reread the directions on the bag very carefully. Do they say to water the grass and apply while the grass is wet? And did you do that? Most people do not, so they get poor results with weed-n-feed. If you did not do that, then there's a chance that the atrazine will just decompose in the soil. You won't know the answer for weeks.

I agree about ditching the weed n feed products. Besides making a mistake like this, it is better and less hassle to fertilize the grass and weeds, then spot spray individual weeds with a liquid like Weed-B-Gone.

o

After 1 week applying the wrong herbicide. The Bermuda is very tough and thick hopefully it will make it!

o
Alion

I have two quarts of alion I need to sell if anyone is interested. Text 912 226 6061

o

Now at 2 weeks since I put the wrong Weed and Feed on my Bermuda. Still hoping my Bermuda will survive the Atriazine.

This post was edited by Bermudairmo on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 19:50

o

Maybe this is a better picture

o

1 week later. I am hoping now I am over the Atriazine scare.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here