Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken51

Toro 20045 w/Quantum 6.0 runs rich?

ken51
10 years ago

I have a Toro 20045 that I use twice per year. It has probably no more than 200 hours of total use. It burns no oil and doesn't smoke or use excessive gas. Overall it performs very well with the exception of one thing. When the engine is cold, it starts up on the first pull if I use the rope to start it. It has key start too. The engine barely cranks before it starts right up using this method. I've been very pleased with the ease of cold starting. However, hot re-starting is a problem. Using the key, the engine cranks and cranks and will just barely start letting out a small puff of black smoke. Using the pull cord it starts a little quicker but requires multiple pulls - and then it barely starts.

The air cleaner is clean, the oil is new and not overfilled, the plug is new and the carb was cleaned and rebuilt last year .I have cleaned the combustion chamber last year and the year before - seems like there was a lot of blackened film that formed too quickly that I had to scrape off on the second cleaning.

So it seems like its running rich but I'm not certain. Any ideas what may be causing the sluggish hot re-starts?