Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New lawn in North Central Ohio

Posted by Dolke 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 8:29

Hi all. Just finished building a new home in West Elyria and our yard should be graded sometime this week. I've been reading through many forums and posts trying to determine the best grass seed to plant, and when to plant it, but I can't seem to figure out what would be best for my specific situation.

The house faces due west with no trees yet. I've noticed that despite the amount of rain we've had this year, the ground tends to dry up very quickly. The sun seems to hit all parts of the yard throughout the day.

I want grass that is soft and dark green and doesn't require a ton of maintenance. I have animals and will have children at some point. So far Kentucky Bluegrass sticks out as a favorite from what I've seen, but I'm a novice at this.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New lawn in North Central Ohio

KB is a good choice for Northern Ohio. If you want a lawn with consistent color, texture and growth rate, look into planting a monstand or at least not a "northern mix."

o

Monstand?

o

Monostand= all one cultivar. For instance, there are probably 50 different cultivars of KB (e,g, Midnight, Midnight II, Award, Nuglade, Blueberry, etc.) Not too long ago, it was always recommended that people use two or more cultivars (a blend) or add a different type of grass (a mix) to keep a disease or insect from killing the whole yard. Suppliers would try to match color, growth rate and blade width so the lawn didn't look too much of a hodge-podge, but you could always tell. Today, most of the individual cultivars have been bred to be resistant to a variety of diseases and it is not necessary to use blends or mixes. Now you can grow a monostand (single cultivar like Blueberry KB), that results in a much more consistent growing and visually attractive lawn.

o

The time to do this in your area is late August when the summer heat starts to wane in the evenings. That gives you time to correct any mistakes you might have made this season before winter. KBG is a good choice because it will refill when it gets injured by the kids or pets. Keep in mind it will go dormant (brown) in the winter.

Do you want to have the nicest lawn on the block or just something to hold the dirt down?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here