Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Grass

Posted by knuttle z7bnc (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 8:44

I have noticed that some people when they cut their grass seemed to think it is best for their yard to blow the grass clipping into the road.

The only reason that I can see that they do this is to make sure everyone knows they mowed there yard.

As I see it there is no reason that the first couple passes on the edge of the road can not blow the grass back into the yard, and then use the mower to blow what gets into the road back into the yard. Even a ditch does not prevent this.

Am I missing something, and am I damaging my yard by not blowing the grass into the road?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Grass

No no. You're not damaging your grass by blowing it in the street but the people that aren't blowing the grass back onto the yard are missing the benefit of the breakdown of the grass into their soil. Free nitrogen!!! This is a big reason why a lot of us mulch mow our lawns. If you mulch mow your lawn every time you mow your lawn will love you for it.
Good luck!!

o

Most of my neighbors do it. They normally wait to mow when the grass is knee high and cut it like they're mowing a golf green blowing piles of grass clippings into the street and leaving piles of clippings all through the lawn. Looks horrible! These same folks have lawns comprised of mostly weeds with a little fescue and common bermuda mixed in.

o

I mow that way, but because I mow once a week I'm not cutting a whole lot. The light wind normally blows it right back into my yard a few minutes later. I live way out in the country so no one really notices.

o

I notice it every time I drive down the road. We live about 10 miles from no where. What difference does it make mowing the edge of the road so the cuttings goes into the ditch rather that into the road. Yes it is the country, but you want to keep it looking natural and neat.

Neat does not include grass in the road and coke bottles in the ditch.

o

We don't have a ditch, the only option, based on our yard, is to either blow the grass inward towards our yard, or outward towards our country road. They are in the process of putting ditches in our area. They started last week, and they'll get to our house pretty soon. At that point no grass will go into the road.

I have a lovely yard and home and I take good care of it. I take pride in what we've done over the last 11 years. No one in my area has put more blood sweat and tears into their property.

I don't understand getting so hung up over light grass on the road for a few minutes. We all have our priorities, I guess..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here