Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is a good fast growing grass seed?

Posted by edweather 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 9:11

I recently did some construction work which required me to replace about 4000 sq ft of my neighbors lawn. I had a landscaper power rake it and hydroseed it. Most of the grass has come up, but there are a few bare spots now. Is there a fast growing seed that I can use to fill in the bare spots? I recently bought a 5 lb bag of "Landscaper mix" from TSC, and it's basically a rye grass mix. I used it on my own lawn and it is growing painfully slow, even with daily watering. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is a good fast growing grass seed?

Perennial rye is the fastest to germinate and grow, but in July those growth rates will be much reduced. Root growth is minimal in soil temps above 70 degrees, and stops around 77. Topgrowth also slows in summer, so growth rates won't be very fast regardless of the grass you plant.

o
RE: What is a good fast growing grass seed?

As stated perennial rye grass is the champion of fast germination and growth rate, but to be honest any cool season grass in the hot weather is going to struggle germinating and growing. What does germinate will likely burn up in the heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here