Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Patches of fuzzy white mold

Posted by sloretto CT (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 20, 10 at 9:46

Hello-This is my first post. I searched the site and couldn't find anything. Today I noticed circular patches ranging from 4 to 8 inches in diameter. The patches appear to have a fuzzy white mold encapsulating the grass blades. I wiped it off with my fingers and I could see the grass where the mold was is yellow and dead/dying. I took some pictures but don't know if I can upload them. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am a novice to lawn care. Thanks in advance!
Stefano

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Patches of fuzzy white mold

Sounds like you have a fungal disease. The fuzzy white stuff is called mycelium. The weather in CT has been perfect for fungal diseases this year, especially with the recent thunderstorms that has kept the grass wet for 24 hours. Mycelium isn't present in all fungal diseases, but one of the more common ones is pythium blight, also known as grease spot. This can be self limiting, or it can continue to spread. You can treat fungi with fungicides such as Immunox (Home Depot), Heritage, Eagle (Lesco) and others. Heritage is probably the best one, but if you don't have a Lesco nearby I would go to Home Depot and buy some Immunox and spot treat the areas where you see the mycelium as well as patches of dying grass.

o
Oops hit the submit button before adding this

Also there are some people that recommend using milk and baking soda as natural treatments for fungal outbreaks. I have never used either, and I am not knowledgable on how much to use, and how well they work. I am sure someone will add a post about these remedies.

o

I have this same problem, it's spreading really fast. Can i treat the healthy grass around it as well to prevent itfrom spreading? I also need to fertilize now, can I perform both treatments at the same time. Any help would be appreciated.

o

Yes, you can treat the healthy grass as well. Fungicides are actually more effective when applied before disease starts. Why do you need to fertilize now? Where are you located and what kind of grass do you have?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here