Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disease or grubs or what??? HELP

Posted by holdaway none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 9:50

Hi,

We had sod laid in the fall of 2012, so this is our second summer with the lawn. Last summer it looked great. This spring after the snow melted and started to warm up it just didn't look great when compared to anyone else in the neighbourhood. It has since just gotten worse. We do have lots of snow and cold here (Ottawa Canada), but there has been lots of rain this year so it isn't a watering issue. I am not sure what it is or what we are doing wrong or what we can do to fix it. So frustrating after spending all that money on having the sod laid to now wind up worse than we were before they took it up and replaced it when we moved in. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disease or grubs or what??? HELP

Kentucky blue can be quite susceptible to disease during the summer months, especially during periods of rain. My first inclination is that the turf has been hit by Pythium. I'd suggest Googling info on the disease so that you're familiar with the symptoms and conditions that favor it's activity. You'll also find recommendations for fungicides if the problem persists or worsens. I'd also suggest confirming that grubs aren't the issue. As they feed on the roots, give the turf a good pull in the damaged areas. If it readily lifts from the soil, it's likely grubs and you may even spot them ( typically found in the top inch of the soil ). If you end up with just a handful of dead clippings, you'll know disease is your problem. I'd suggest taking a look at some of the university turf websites. A wealth of professional knowledge from Michigan St and Purdue for your climate. Your Guelph Institute for Turf is also first class for research but the website's not necessarily geared to assist the novice. Good luck! Read up! PG78

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here