Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn mistake

Posted by ElisaEdPro Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 10:19

My boyfriend and I wanted to level out an existing lawn and so we put quite a lot of soil down , compacted it down just with our feet and seeded it. The lawn came up quite well but it is so soft and spongy you just sink in it when you step foot onto it.

How do we rectify this, I am guessing we should have rented a roller or put down another level first before all of that soil..darn it so mad with ourselves..help!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn mistake

How deep is the new soil?

Did it change your drainage?

o

You can still roll, but I doubt you will get the results you desire if the depth of the added soil was over 1 1/2 - 2".. The topsoil will eventially settle over time anyway, although low spots are likely to re-appear. It's the reason I use sand rather than topsoil for low spots as sand will settle almost immediately. When I have used topsoil, I roll it, water and let it settle. Then a couple of weeks later I repeat the process and let it settle again before seeding.
In your current situation, I would wait for the soil to settle over the rest of the summer, then slowly rake sand into the turf to cure any low spots that appear.

o

Oh boy, its around 1 ft deep in the larger front section and the grass is getting long now. Really need to cut it but not sure how when you just sink in it. Maybe we are going to have to roll it sooner rather than later.

o

Yowza!

Can you post pictures? It might help to come up with a solution.

How big an area are you talking about with a foot deep of fluffy new soil? And did it change your drainage? I can't imagine a situation where you need a foot of soil.

This post was edited by dchall_san_antonio on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 0:56

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here