Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Patches

Posted by mareec Houston, TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 10:31

We live north of Houston, TX. Recently, we have been receiving a lot of rain. The brown patch started growing into what it is now.
I have not recently fertilized, I mow once every couple of weeks, and I mulch my clippings. I can pull up the brown grass easily, and for the most part the roots come with it.
I've read some of the other posts, but am not quite sure which route to go. Please help! Thank you so much for any advice, it will be so appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Patches

Here is another picture

o

This one is of what I pulled up.

o

Is this Bermuda? Does that area get shadded by that big tree?

o

I am having problems with brown patches on my lawn due to my dog weeing. I followed a forum on the subject and was led to this site as the owner of the post recommending a lawn spray she said she was importing into the UK from her sister site in Arizona. The product is Naturvet GrassSaver Yellow to Green Lawn Spray (32 oz). I've found it for sale in the USA but the postage is 3 times the price of the product! I've not found it in the UK The spray instantly turns the brown grass to green and is non toxic etc. Does anyone know where I can buy this in the UK? It sounds exactly what I need until I can cure the problem and it may help other folk who have brown patches until they too can cure their problem.

o

mareec, you have a drainage issue leading to the fungal disease. I would treat it with ordinary corn meal from a feed store. Apply at 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. That will fix the grass, but you still need to fix the drainage so it doesn't pool up there.

bobandchrissie, I would suggest you start a new thread about dog spots on the yard. I've never heard of that product but the solution is much easier than you're making it.

o

The grass is a combination of bermuda and St. augustine in places. I had a feeling it was because of poor draining conditions, and just needed to confirm it. Thank you for the help, I am definitely trying the cornmeal route. We don't have a problem with animals in the front yard, unless a stray wanders through, which isn't that common in our neighborhood.
Thanks All! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here