Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing clover on sand covered with soil

Posted by xplatinum none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 10:33

Hello everyone,

I removed our pool from the backyard and am now trying to grow clover to cover everything up.

The ground is 100% sand in that area which I covered with soil at about 3/4 of an inch. I seeded white clover later (2 weeks) mixed with grass.

The issue is that it started growing fine, sprouts are out mostly everywhere but I think it stopped growing. At least that's what it looks like is happening.

Could it be due to the sand underneath the soil ? I'm thinking that the clover started growing but as the root expanded deeper it came in contact with the sand and now refuses to grow any further.

The picture was taken yesterday. It was seeded around 3 weeks ago and the sprouts are about only 1-2 cm tall.

Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing clover on sand covered with soil

Sand actually can grow grass (and clover), although it does present some challenges.

Here, what looks like what's happening is called "sprout and pout." I'm not sure of your locale, but this is characteristic of both warm season and cool season grasses.

What happens is the plant extends a leaf or three post-sprout, but then spends more of its energy working on the root systems than anything else. This makes sense--without roots, lush leaves can't be maintained. Without many leaves, the root systems do just fine.

Pouting lasts until the root systems are a little more developed. Right now, for northern lawns, pouting is standard--they simply don't grow much in summer. The clover will come out of pout phase much faster, the grass probably not until September.

For now, keep it watered appropriately and skip feeding until temperatures drop for fall (for northern lawns, southern ones differ).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here