Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_d_harvey

bermuda seed thoughts

t_d_harvey
9 years ago

Not sure if this will work or not, but thought I might as well give it a shot. I have a small field that is full of weeds next to my property that I would like to eventually have filled in with Bermuda. Of course I will not care for it like I do my main lawn, but I want it to look decent and not be so weedy.

I decided to do a test. I know the proper steps to take when seeding a lawn. I have established over .5 an acre from seed. What I did in the adjacent weeded property is throwing down leftover seed and see if mother nature will do the work in getting the seed to grow. Seeded 2 days ago and going to get some decent rain today and tomorrow. Only steps I took were mowing down weeds as low as I can go and then throwing the seed down with starter fertilizer. My hope is that mother nature can do the rest of it and in the years to come let the Bermuda take over the field. I keep the area cut pretty low anyway, so if it does grow, I will not worry about the weed battle too much.

Thoughts, do you think I will have any results, or will the seed just rot from the rain today and tomorrow and then no moisture the next few days?

Comments (5)

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

The seed will not rot. Go out before, during, or after the rain and walk all over the area where you scattered the seed. The purpose is to press the seed into the surface of the soil. That way when it rains the seed will be surrounded by moist soil to help it germinate. Seed sitting on top of the soil is only touching the moist soil at the bottom. It doesn't need much more than that so just walking on it will do.

If you could water it lightly a couple times a day for the next few weeks, it will likely take off. Now is the time to do this while the soil is still warm. Bermuda seed will not do so well after it starts to cool off.

• t_d_harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

great idea dchall. Never thought about walking over the seeds while wet to press into the ground. I will do that. Unfortunately, after the rain, I will not be able to water the seeds for a few weeks as the current hose I have will not reach that far from my house. Think I will take my chances with mother nature and see if anything germinates. Like I said, not too worried about this area, just really wanted to experiment for the most part.

• polyguy78
    9 years ago

Well walking over a half acre of seeded area sounds pretty silly especially with Bermuda seed. This is an extremely small seed ( how about millions per pound! )of which many will quickly find there way in to the cracks, crevices, and uneven places in the soil. The problem you'll face is water. The rainfall will initiate germ and once the process is started there's no turning back. So let's hope for more rain! If allowed to dry out, you'll likely lose much of that first planting. That being said, the beauty of Bermuda is that it's tenacious, a survivor, and will cover ground. Hopefully you'll get some take on the seed, even if just some random plants. Just remember that Bermuda, despite its drought and heat tolerance when established, really appreciates both water and nitrogen during establishment. It also rewards those that mow with more rapid establishment. Think of it this way, mowing encourages lower, spreading growth. If left unmowed, Bermuda is more upright and leggy.....thus not spreading as rapidly. Let's hope for a rain or two and some growth. Good Luck! PG78

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

polyguy78, I think he's dealing in significantly less than 1/2 acre for this. He's asking about an area where he scattered left over seed. At the same time, what you said about bermuda being the size of dust is an excellent observation which I overlooked. I'm so used to people asking about northern seed that I just run that roller suggestion in every time. And now I'm kicking myself because I try not to be generic in my replies.

Another good point is that all you need is one seed to germinate and you'll eventually have a bermuda lawn.

I graduated from CP Pomona in 73. Good times.

• t_d_harvey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both, and yes, it is a small area. Walking on it is not so bad, but probably not necessary as you both said. I did find an area that I seeded that I can get water to. Looks like I will water that area and let Bermuda do its thing. Other seed may or may not take, not too worried about it. Like you both said, I will be happy with a little and then letting it take over.

I'll update with progress in a few weeks.