Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown grasses

Posted by ruru_1 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 10:55

Few days ago, I posted a message about brown spots, and several people helped me. Today, I am encountering another issue. One section of our lawn looks like there is a mixture of green grass and brown grass. Please see the photo below and help me with the treatment.

Here is more info:

1. Bermuda grass
2. Mow every 7 ~ 10 days
3. Had lots of rain lately

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown grasses

Common bermudagrass in your hybrid bermuda lawn.

o

Thank you! Any solutions to spot kill common bermuda grass?

This post was edited by ruru_1 on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 19:07

o

Someone said I can try Scott's Weed and Feed to get rid of common bermudgrass. Is that true?

o

The Weed and Feed product will not have any effect on the common bermuda. The Scotts Weed and Feed product is 2,4D and Mecoprop both are broadleaf herbicides. Your only real option, if this is a small area,is to spray the entire area w/48% active ingredient glyphosate, Roundup, at the high rate. 3 apps total once every 28 days and then resod. There is a good chance the common bermuda will return in the next few years.

o

It is hard to recognize some differences in a 2-dimensional picture. When you get your nose into the grass, can you see a difference between grasses. There are differences between common bermuda and hybrid.

When I saw the picture my first instinct was that the hot sidewalk is drying out the soil. You need more water in that spot.

How are you watering now? How often and for how long?

o

Bermuda + mowing once every 7-10 days + lots of rain = your current issues, at least thats a good possibility. I have an area with common and hybrid Bermuda and it all looks green and even (of course not as nice as 100% hybrid bermuda) but it looks nice. I am currently mowing at 1 inch and with the amount of rain and fertilizer, I have been having to mow every 2-3 days (with a reel mower). How high are you mowing? Try to mow every 5 days and see if you see any improvement.

o

@ Joneboy 7: Thank you very much for your suggestion.

@ dchall_san_antonio: Before the rain last week, I used to water the lawn everyday for about 15 - 20 minutes.

@ iriasj2009: The current height setting is at 2.

The below photo shows left side of the driveway. It looks OK. The problem area is on the right side of the driveway. No problem on the both sides of the house as well as backyard.

This post was edited by ruru_1 on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 8:53

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here