Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chevyz98

bermuda yellow spots

chevyz98
11 years ago

I live in Weatherford Tx just west of Fort Worth. Last year we had a hybrid bermuda yard put in along with a sprinkler system. Everything has been going good until recently. I have these yellow spots showing up in my yard and would like to know how to treat them. I mow about once a week and grass from ground to top of blade is roughly 3" tall. Sprinklers come on evey other day. I fertilized in april. Just need some help on where to start.

Any input or help would be appreciated just dont to loose my yard after time and money involved.

Comments (12)

• tiemco
    11 years ago

The first thing you should do is google and read the "Bermuda Bible". You are cutting your Bermuda too high, and watering too often. Hopefully TexasWeed will be along shortly to get you back on track.

• david_tx
    11 years ago

...and not fertilizing often enough.

None of that is causing the spots, though. By chance, do you have a fairly large female dog?

• chevyz98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No dogs. If I cut it shorter it burns real bad(1.5" kinda seems short). Wanted to fertilize but didn't want to burn it in this heat.
    Thanks for your help though. Looked at bermuda bible and it's kinda vague on the yellow spots so wasn't sure which ones I have.

• david_tx
    11 years ago

Actually, 1.5" is kinda long. If you try to cut back right now, you will see nothing but brown. Normally it would green back up in a week or two but I tried that in August once and it was May before the lawn was really green again. From that experience, I don't recommend it in this heat.

Off hand, it looks like a burn which is why I asked about the dog. You know, ask the obvious questions first. It still might be burning but we've ruled out the most common reason for that.

Take a screw driver out there and stick it into the ground in the dead areas and again in the lush green areas. Notice any differences?

• chevyz98
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can't feel any difference with screwdriver. I'll mow it shorter next year. Should I apply any nitrogen soon since grass is long or should I wait till next year? I do have deer running around here but don't know if that is the cause.

• grasshole
    11 years ago

Is it not just the mower scalping?

• david_tx
    11 years ago

That's good on the screwdriver test.

It still looks like a burn to me. If dog urine can burn, I suppose deer urine can burn also. I have no experience with deer running around. I suppose that if a herd of does were grazing on your lawn...

Whatever it is, you have no real cause for alarm. It's Bermuda and it's darn near impossible to kill. What you need to do is Google "Bermuda Bible" and read it. It's free and only a couple of pages long. Follow those directions and you'll have a better than average Bermuda lawn.

I can already tell you that mowing once a week won't cut it. (accidental pun there, lol) A nice bermuda lawn will have to be cut low. You also need to follow the 2/3 rule for a green lawn. You can't follow both rules with once per week mowing. You can have a decent lawn with higher mowing. Lots of people do that. You need to decide what you want in a lawn.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Wait! Before you mow shorter, check the bible. I believe it mentions letting it get longer in the heat. Except you're already mowing an inch higher than the highest summer cut height. Hmmm.

First get control of your water. You REALLY should be watering only once per week. If the grass scorches, then water right away but water for longer next time. My sprinkler takes 8 hours to apply an inch. Fortunately my lawn is in full shade and gets away with much less than 1 inch per week. But that is only applied once per week (Tuesday with San Antonio's watering rules). Use a cat food or tuna can to figure out how long it takes to put an inch of water on the lawn. Start with that as your goal.

According to the bible you should be applying high N fertilizer every month. Don't wait until next year. Be sure you water it in immediately and don't wait a day.

TW will have better advice on mowing. For now I'd keep it where it is since you are already up in height. The grass on southern golf greens is a hybrid bermuda and is mowed more like 3/16 inch high. Mowing yours at 1 inch will give you a much different lawn. Mowing it at 1/2 inch will be even better.

Those spots really do look like dog spots. House hold bermuda is rarely bothered with fungal problems. If it is a fungus it might have something to do with your watering schedule.

• david_tx
    11 years ago

In case I was vague or unclear: No I don't recommend lower mowing right now. It's not a good time of year for that. I made that mistake once, my lesson was learned.

Mowing twice per week at your current height could improve things, though.

• 1toms
    11 years ago

I have no authority or experience to give advice but I would experiment atleast on a section and bring down the mowing hight and see if you don't see some improvement mowing every day or atleast other day, while the conditions are great for growing , and of course take the advice of those above .

• david_tx
    11 years ago

1toms, I like the way you think! I'm a big believer in the trial and error method. Like I said, it's Bermuda and you can't kill it.

• neilaz
    11 years ago

I always give mine a minor scalp around late July and never had a problem. In two weeks time it looks good and three weeks and it is perfect. Arizona heat to boot.