Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turf identification

Posted by Bama_Joe 7 North AL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 11:09

Hi folks, been lurking for a bit (great forum btw) and have my first post. I'm trying to identify what type of turf is in my mother's backyard. I started taking over mowing her lawn and this is the only section not infested with dallisgrass. I used roundup on a good bit in her front yard and am looking to seed it (also considered plugging with Zoysia but there are just too many large areas with no weeds or turf). She has no irrigation system, but this area has flourished and kept the dallisgrass away. Any ideas? The tips appear shaped like Kentucky Bluegrass to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turf identification

All the tips are mowed off, so it's impossible to tell. Next time you take a picture of grass, can you wait until a cloud goes over head to reduce the contrast? Also if you put a dime or quarter in the picture for reference that would help.

The grass appears to be coarse bladed like St Augustine or centipede. Here is a picture comparing those.

Note that the centipede (top) has pointed blade tips. St Aug has blunted tips.

Centipede normally grows under very poor conditions. It like acidic soil with zero fertilizer, low mowing, and little water. St Augustine will grow in acidic soil but it seems to do very well in higher pH conditions. It likes lots of care and will spread to fill under all but very dry conditions. I have about 3,000 square feet more St Aug than I had when I bought my house 3 years ago. It spreads by over ground runners. They grow about 5 feet in the spring and 5 more in the fall. St Aug should be mowed at the highest setting.

o
RE: Turf identification

I didn't see any runners at all. I attached a pic of a small patch I pulled if that helps. Appreciate the response and think the notification went to my spam filter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here