Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda Mowing Cut height method

Posted by bermudatri09 nc (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 11:31

Was just thinking... if you cut bermuda at the same height every time, eventually everything below the cut height will die? If that is true, this means eventually every mowing will leave the grass looking like crap. Does anyone cut below the normal cut height to keep the undergrowth in decent shape? For example... I maintain at 1", before every dose of fertilizer, I mow at 7/8.

Would this provide any benefit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda Mowing Cut height method

HUH?

o

Grasses mostly grow from the base end not the tip, so giving the bermuda grass a "haircut" at iether hieght should be fine.

o

I think I know what you mean. Since you are probable like me and do not mow as often as needed bermuda can get to looking brown after a mow. I start the season below 3/4 inch and when grass starts looking bad after a mow i raise it the next time. Keep doing this until I am at 1 1/4 inch or so then cut back to 3/4. (then next mow is above that) This will usually be in early SEP. Now if I can only get out there when it is 115 and mow every other day these steps could be avoided. :) So if you mow at 1 inch and after it looks bad go to 3/4 then back to 1 that works also.

o

Bermuda turns brown after a mowing because it was allowed to get too tall and then too much was removed exposing the stems. Once Bermuda gets so tall, over 2" or so, The underbelly so to speak turns stemmy and brown from the shade. To avoid this mow more frequently to keep it short allowing sunlight to reach all parts of the Bermuda. The presence of chlorophyll is dependent on sunlight. If it has already been allowed to get too tall, there is really nothing you can do to get it shorter unless you are willing to put up with a substantially brown yard until it regrows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here