Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with brown spots

Posted by ruru_1 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 11:33

Our lawn (Bermuda grass with 6.0 PH level) has several of these brown spots in the front and back yard. My question is should I keep watering on them (which I have been doing for the last two weeks) or just do overseeding? I have applied fertilizers four weeks ago and also yesterday.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with brown spots

Where do you live?
How are you watering now? How often and how long?
What fertilizers did you apply?

o

I should have also mentioned, NO do not overseed. That looks like a hybrid bermuda (sod) lawn. Overseeding with common varieties will give you a permanently weedy lawn. There is no seed that will match your grass. It will repair itself. That's the nature of bermuda.

o

Thank you for the reply, schall_san_antonio! I live outside of Charlotte and I water once a day for 10-25 minutes everyday. I applied milorganite.

o

Do you experience full sun in this location or partial shade? This looks similar to damage I caused to my hybrid Bermuda by applying to much fertilizer (Nitrogen). It did heal itself, I mowed it down very low and it regenerated.

o

Our front and backyard lawn gets full sun, It is possible that the damage came from too much fertilizer. I put down Nitrogen (5-2-0) 4 weeks ago, and some Scotts Liquid Turf Builder (sprayer type) after few days later. I also put down more nitrogen yesterday.

o

It is possible.... I had over applied mine when the temps. were in the mid 90's and didn't receive any rainfall for almost a week. It burned my lawn, it was a combination of the high heat, lack of water and over application. Hybrid Bermudas can be very sensitive to the proper application of fertilizers.

Assuming this is what caused the brown spots, continue to mow and water as you normally do and they will grow back in.

o

Thank you Dellobn for the help. Hopefully it gets regenerated in the coming days.

o

Can anyone tell me if our brown spots are caused by fungus? I am trying to find the exact cause between over fertilization and fungus.

o

More pic

o

If milorganite is the only fertilizer you used, then there is no chance the damage is caused by fertilizer. You don't even need to water that in.

If you are watering every day, then there is an excellent chance it's a fungal disease. Daily watering is about the only thing you can do to induce fungus in bermuda. In your area you should be watering it more like once, deeply, every 10 days to 2 weeks unless it rains. I would try simply not watering every day and see if it greens up again.

Put out some tuna or cat food cans and time your sprinklers to see how long it takes to fill the cans. Then, having just watered the proper amount, sit back for 3 days watching the grass to see if it starts to look brown or mats down when you walk on it. When that happens, water immediately for that same time you timed with the cans. Keep watching the grass for signs of drying and then water. Real soon you'll develop deeper roots which allow the uptake of moisture from deeper in the soil. The deep watering provides that depth of moisture. That will break the weed cycle and hopefully will break the fungus cycle.

If you want to try something which is perfectly safe this time of year, you can apply ordinary corn meal at a rate of 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. The corn meal attracts a beneficial predatory fungus which feeds on the disease fungus. It will take about 3 weeks to see the improvement. But simply backing waaaaay off on the watering might give the same effect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here