Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crab grass?

Posted by elbeardo CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 12:08

I've posted a link with two photos of the unwanted grass I have growing amongst my UC Verde Buffalo grass lawn in Southern CA. I think it is crab grass, but it also might be some type of Bermuda. I have a pretty thick stand of this stuff working its way thru the lawn. Any suggestions on control? The Buffalo grass goes dormant during the winter months. Would that be the best time for applying some sort of control of this other grass?

Here is a link that might be useful: what kind of grass is this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crab grass?

Looks like Bermuda to me.

o

That would be common bermuda. You're screwed.

One thing you could try would be raising your mower up as high as it goes and not mowing for a couple weeks at a time. Bermuda must have sunlight and it might be the taller buffalo will shade it out. Bermuda goes dormant, too. If you have a window of opportunity when the buffalo goes dormant but the bermuda is still growing, then you could kill the bermuda with Round Up. But if the buffalo is not completely dormant, then you will also kill the buff.

o

Yup that's what I was afraid of. I was thinking of not mowing the for the rest of the season. Here's one thing that was suggested to me by a UC Verde dealer if I go the chemical route with Round-Up. It will also kill the neighboring 'UC Verde' that it comes into contact with. A trick here to control the application is to buy the Round-Up without the nozzle (in a bottle), and mix in a pump sprayer. Cut a piece of cloth or sponge and wrap with wire or rubber bands tightly around the end of the spray nozzle, so when you spray, there is no spray (and drift to other plants), but it just soaks the sponge/cloth which you dab on the Bermuda only. Any thoughts on this method? Sounds like a s#@&load of work.

o

"Sounds like a s#@&load of work."

Sounds like that to me also.....and futile too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here