Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bestlawn

Especially difficult this year

bestlawn
16 years ago

I think every producer in the business has new bluegrass (and other) varieties on the market or soon to be released. I'm trying to find and organize them all so I can add them to their proper classifications. Also trying to update the list of retailers, add new ones, and their lists of supplies. I cannot believe how difficult this has become. Everyone is soooo secretive if not actually rude. One guy hung up on me. Another guy only sells wholesale but refused to share any of the businesses he supplies to. Those would be the ones we here on the forum can purchase from. Yet another guy told me he'll email his list of varieties and retailers in a couple days or so because he's busy and his customers come first. How long does it take to send an email??? I introduce myself, explain I subscribe to a lawn care forum, and express my purpose for calling. Why can't these people see it means more business for them? ARGH!!!

Thanx for letting me vent.

Just had to get it off my chest cuz I'm really sick of it.

Won't give up though.

Comments (8)

• tracywag
    16 years ago

We appreciate your efforts. I suspect that most of those guys don't realize the potential business you can steer them.
    Maybe if you introduced yourself as the Director of Research for an International Consortium of Turf Grass Maintenance Scholars, whose membership is in the thousands?

Cheers!

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    That's exactly what I should do!
    Wish I could.

• rutgers1
    16 years ago

Bestlawn......I publish a sports site, ScarletNation.com (over 100,000 page views per day), and I have had a lot of experience with the issues that you mentioned above as I have tried to expand, build relationships, and get the word out about the site. Many people think that they understand the web just because they have a web site, while others completely ignore it and don't think that it can help at all. Those that embrace the web (and realize what a core group of "fanatics" in a niche area can do for them) reap great rewards. Catering to fans works in sports, and it works in other places too.

This may sound silly, but you should consider being a distributor or something along those lines. If there is one thing that I have learned over the past year from reading these boards, it is that there is a large group of people who care about their lawns as much - if not more - than their neighbors who are obsessed about their gardens. The funny thing is that there is no shortage of gardening sites, as well as companies that cater to gardeners. However, lawn care is kind of an afterthought. If someone aside from Scotts really sought to make a connection with the "fans", I think they could be a big success.

• User
    16 years ago

Bestlawn, we completely and utterly appreciate your efforts! If I haven't thanked you profusely enough for helping with the Midnight II/Bedazzled/Moonlight mix, let me do so now!

You could also try telling them that you publish on an Internet site with several thousand readers worldwide who are interested in--and spend a great deal of money on--lawn care.

The fact that every word of it is the complete truth just adds to the fun of saying it.

• v1rt
    16 years ago

We salute your untiring efforts in helping us. I really admire your dedicatedness in helping people.

I have a vision :D that if you put up a seed company, tons of members and the member's friend, and so on, we will buy from you and you will become successful in this business. :D

Let's give an alias to the Midnight II/Bedazzled/Moonlight mix, the Magnificent 3, HAHAHA

Again Mallory, YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

I think it's pretty tough to predict what they will have from year to year and they may have something now but not have it in August. Maybe this is why they are relucatant to share this info?

• billhill
    16 years ago

It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. And nobody does it better than you Bestlawn. I second the idea that you consider distributing for profit custom blends of Northern grass seeds. You would be doing this community a great service.

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ron, it is done! The Magnificent 3 is the name from now on. Wow, that sounds sooo good.

I don't want anyone to think they owe me any particular debt of gratitude. What I do is my joy, and I even regret staying away from it for so long. Glad to be back in the throes LOL again and enjoying every moment. Honestly, you are very welcome and I'm glad for whatever help I can be.

I've considered before what you guys are suggesting, and someone else said it today. That was the guy who said he'll email me in a couple days. I couldn't make a decision to do it because it would potentially pose a conflict of interest. Plus, GardenWeb doesn't allow it. We really are not supposed to suggest retailers at all, but we definitely are not to be on here trying to sell anything. I don't know how I could get around that. Most especially, I don't want my suggestions to seem self-serving. That happened a couple years ago concerning Pawnee Buttes. One guy mentioned he wondered why I always suggested them. I didn't always suggest them. The problem I ran into was the same as now - still having to send people to different places and therefore they'd have to pay extra shipping costs. I requested Pawnee Buttes add to their already great and extensive selection of elite bluegrass seeds with Bedazzled and Kingfisher. They did that, which gave me more flexibility. I was happy they wouldn't have to regret the investment and to know where I could find the top performers. I didn't appreciate the inference that I benefitted in any way, particularly an inference made in the exact same thread that gave everyone my complete list of retailers and their stock.

I suppose no matter what I do, there's bound to be someone to turn it into a problem. I'll give it more thought and see what I come up with. I really appreciate you guys would be supportive.