Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

Teeny Tiny, lime green to neon orange flying, biting insects

Does anyone know what they are? As described above, they are miniscule, teeny tiny flying biting insects that are lime green to neon orange. Almost invisible when flying, or look like a speck of dust, but when they land on you bite. They are oblong, almost pointy, and some of the smallest bugs I have ever seen. The bites are really no more than a strong itch and as soon as you kill it or get it to fly away the biting, pricking, itching sensation stops. Again, these bugs are TINY TINY TINY! Maybe just slightly bigger than the head of a pin, but barely.

The reason I posted this here, is because I only have experienced them in lawn areas. They are numerous. Unless you are sitting or standing still and see one crawling on your skin and feel the biting while they are there, you would never really know they where there and might think you were being bitten by a mosquito.

Anyone know what these are?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• botanicalbill
    13 years ago

Here in Florida we call them No-see-Ums. I think they are various species of small flys called midges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia help

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually, I found out what they are. They are in fact biting thrips! I've known what thrips are for ever, but never knew they bit us. Not all kinds bite people either. They are seasonal here, and are generally only out in the hottest parts of the day in direct sun. They are tiny for sure, about 1mm.

Im glad its not those things you linked too! Thrips only bite people because they are attempting to find food. They rasp leaves and flower petals and suck up the slush they make by the rasping/ sucking of their mouthpiece. The only reason they bite people is because they are attempting to do the same thing to human skin. Once they find they cant do it, and thus get no food, they fly away or move to another part of the body and attempt again.

They are annoying little buggers for sure, but usually leave no lasting affects in most people. Usually just a second or two of a tiny pin prick type itch / slight sting, and we either scratch or they fly off having not gotten any food.

Very common bugs, and very VERY common in grassy areas, especially lawns.

• maizyjo_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

OMG ! I am so glad I found this ! I stepped in a nest of em and I was literally attacked and bitten. It was awful and painful ! I didn't know what they were ! My Uncle said they were no see-ums and I thought he was crazy ! I am still itching and feeling the bites.

• anitamarie0601
    7 years ago

I just got bitten by one of these for the first time yesterday while I was staining a gate. I could not believe the pain from that bite that came from such a tiny insect. It hurt for about an hour. Thanks for the info people

• Jean Sarah Aguel
    7 years ago

lacewing

• ctdaly
    6 years ago

I was bitten by one of these in Las Vegas . I slapped it and killed it so got a pretty good look at it and have been trying to figure out what it was since .after the initial painful bite it swelled and has since been itching like crazy . It's been 4 days now and finally getting better . So glad I found this post . Have to say I was getting a little worried about what it was ,

• PRO
    Siamese Sense
    5 years ago

My Siamese cat has been going nuts chasing invisible flies all over the place. I mean literally purr crying and climbing the walls. Today one landed on me while reading. Teeny, Tiny, Neon Green thang with neon green guts. My Siamese Cat apparently is not color blind.

• allwest2003
    5 years ago

I was attacked by a nest of these and fell very sick from it. Landed me in the hospital where I was treated as less than a human being. Even had a sample of it. If a doctor isn't familiar with something, they will treat you as an idiot.... They're called quacks

• debbiesthemes
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

They are probably “thrips” in the adult flying stage. They need moisture, but I’ve still got a problem with them even here in the desert, since they get moisture near my plants.

You probably have them in larvae form too. I thought I had a ton of teeny tiny ants in my backyard and under the dog’s water bowl indoors. The larvae are literally only 1mm, so they look like dust until they move. I captured one yesterday in a 7x high resolution handheld microscope setup and was surprised that my “ant” was actually a neon green and black beetle.

Here is the damage they cause- they suck nutrients from leaves, and their spit gets into the leaf leaving small yellow or white circles. They can cause a lot of damage pretty quickly.

I do not know how to get rid of them safely at this point. Hopefully someone can help out in that department.

• HU-103499299
    3 years ago

I have these especially on hotter days. They are small enough to come through the screens in my windows. They DO bite and are attracted light. Does anyone know how to get rid of them?