Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Teeny Tiny, lime green to neon orange flying, biting insects

Posted by novaplantguy_z7b_8a Alexandria, VA 7B/8A (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 12:24

Does anyone know what they are? As described above, they are miniscule, teeny tiny flying biting insects that are lime green to neon orange. Almost invisible when flying, or look like a speck of dust, but when they land on you bite. They are oblong, almost pointy, and some of the smallest bugs I have ever seen. The bites are really no more than a strong itch and as soon as you kill it or get it to fly away the biting, pricking, itching sensation stops. Again, these bugs are TINY TINY TINY! Maybe just slightly bigger than the head of a pin, but barely.

The reason I posted this here, is because I only have experienced them in lawn areas. They are numerous. Unless you are sitting or standing still and see one crawling on your skin and feel the biting while they are there, you would never really know they where there and might think you were being bitten by a mosquito.

Anyone know what these are?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Teeny Tiny, lime green to neon orange flying, biting insects

Here in Florida we call them No-see-Ums. I think they are various species of small flys called midges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia help

o

Actually, I found out what they are. They are in fact biting thrips! I've known what thrips are for ever, but never knew they bit us. Not all kinds bite people either. They are seasonal here, and are generally only out in the hottest parts of the day in direct sun. They are tiny for sure, about 1mm.

Im glad its not those things you linked too! Thrips only bite people because they are attempting to find food. They rasp leaves and flower petals and suck up the slush they make by the rasping/ sucking of their mouthpiece. The only reason they bite people is because they are attempting to do the same thing to human skin. Once they find they cant do it, and thus get no food, they fly away or move to another part of the body and attempt again.

They are annoying little buggers for sure, but usually leave no lasting affects in most people. Usually just a second or two of a tiny pin prick type itch / slight sting, and we either scratch or they fly off having not gotten any food.

Very common bugs, and very VERY common in grassy areas, especially lawns.

o

OMG ! I am so glad I found this ! I stepped in a nest of em and I was literally attacked and bitten. It was awful and painful ! I didn't know what they were ! My Uncle said they were no see-ums and I thought he was crazy ! I am still itching and feeling the bites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here