Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with weed id

Posted by johnny6 z6 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 12:46

Hi, this weed has been growing in my lawn for the past few years. It usually starts in early June. When it first started I was able to pull them by hand. Now there are too many. I've tried both ortho and bayer weed killer but neither one do anything. Can anyone id this weed and tell me how to get rid of it? Thanks!
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with weed id

It looks like Nimblewill.

o

Thanks, after doing a little more research that's what I think it is too. That explains why nothing will kill it.

o

A product called "Tenacity" will kill it, but it isn't OK'ed for residential use yet, and the sizes (1 gallon costs $725) aren't exactly aimed at the homeowner. Both the sizing and the residential OK may change in the next year. Not much comfort for now though.

o

• Posted by gags NoVa (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 14:38

For the past 2 years, I've thought it was creeping bentgrass. Then this morning I took it to a local nursery (Merrifield Gardens - figured I'd give them a free plug for the good advice) and was told, as you've already confirmed, that it was nimbleweed. I think I was relieved to hear it, as I wasn't sure how I was going to control bentgrass.

The good news for you is that the plant guy suggested trying Bayers "Bermuda Grass Control for Lawns". The active ingredient is Fenoxaprop-e-ethly (0.41%), and is in a 32 oz hose end sprayer (treats 5,000 sq ft). I paid $23, you may find it a little cheaper, as this nursery tends to be at the "upper range" of the pricing spectrum.

Anyway, the guy helping me wasn't 100% certain it would be fully effective, as I'm about 2 weeks too late. But I'm in VA, and you're in NY, so it may be right on time for you. What was also good to know about the product was that if you wait too long in the season, bermuda grass develops a waxy coating on its leaves and stems, making it harder for herbicides to be effective. Not that you probably have to worry about bermuda by you, but thought that little nugget could be of use to the rest of us unfortunate souls.

The label for the product is here: http://www.bayeradvanced.com/system/product_variants/label_pdfs/000/000/006/original_Bermudagrass_Control_32oz_RTS.pdf

I noticed it doesn't say anything about nimblewill, but since I was buying the product anyway, I'll report back and let you know if it works.

--Gags

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayers Bermudagrass Control Spray

o

Ha ha, good luck getting rid of Bermuda. When the nuclear attack if finished, the only things left alive will be cockroaches and they will be relaxing in comfort on a bed of healthy Bermuda!

o

Gags thanks for the tip. Check out this post. It also mentions using the bayers. http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lawns/msg0319525817047.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Nimblewill control

o

• Posted by gags NoVa (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 14:03

Just to follow-up - used the Bayers product mentioned above - had good results controlling / weakening existing bermuda, and noticed a lack of nimblewill as well. That was a little over a month ago. Nimblewill is back, but I'm confident that a second application (hopefully the un-used portion of the initial bottle will be enough) should take care of the new patches of nimblewill. The remaining BG I'm hand pulling and will "attack" next year with a fresh bottle. (Well worth the $23.)

Gags

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here