Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
southern California lawn needs help

Posted by skraw none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 12:54

Hey everyone, first post here. So we recently purchased a new home in southern California. I just got done redoing the sprinkler system to achieve adequate coverage. That's all set now. The problem is the lawn is in pretty bad shape. Weeds here and there, a few different types of grass in certain areas and one corner that has this weird weedy ground cover coming up. Covers around 20-30 Sq ft mixed in with the grass. The soil has a lot of clay in it. The grass areas that are alright are in pretty good shape I guess. Fescue I'm guessing. I'm just wondering if I should rip it all out and start from scratch or if it's salvageable. Should I use sod or seed? I never seem to get great results with seeding, never comes in full and even. Should I add something to the soil? Kind of a Newby when it comes to grass. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: southern California lawn needs help

Kind of a newby, yes, I could tell. But some of us like to help folks like you.

Where do you live? Big Bear? La Jolla? Heber? Victorville? It makes a big difference in SoCal.

How do you have the sprinklers set? How often and for how long? You're going to need to test the sprinklers to see how long it takes to apply 1 inch of water. Put some tuna or cat food cans in the yard and turn on the water. Time how long it takes to fill all the cans. Remember that number.

Can you post some pictures of your grass(es) and weeds?

It would be rare if your soil had a lot of clay in it. It would not be rare at all if it had a lot of salts in it that act like clay. Only a good soil test can tell you that. I'm not suggesting that you need a soil test, I'm just saying you can't be too sure of the soil content by what others tell you.

Whether this is salvageable and how depends on where you live and what you have. Seeding can be tricky, but we can help with that, too. If you do it wrong, you'll get bad results every time. There are a few ways to do it right and a lot of ways to do it wrong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here