Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby shampoo on new seeds, any problem ?

Posted by pbguy420 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 13:21

Will baby shampoo/ molasses mix do any harm to new seeds if applied while new seeds are being put down

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby shampoo on new seeds, any problem ?

Exactly the opposite of "harm." Soap is a wetting agent, and will help that particular coat of water adhere to the seed and penetrate.

I use a drop or two of soap when wetting down seeds in trays. It really helps to get the whole thing damp, and the seed germination rate has risen since I started doing it.

Don't go overboard with the stuff, of course, but normal to double normal rate is certainly no issue at all. The next rainfall will wash it into the soil anyway.

o

Great! Now I'm new to the shampoo so from my research I believe it was you who said sodium lauryl sulfate is the ingredient I'm looking for... Is that correct? Are there any ingredients to specifically avoid besides the obvious antibacterial soaps?

Also will ammonium lauryl sulfate work as well as sodium lauryl sulfate?
It's in the suave shampoo I have that I'm never going to use for me

o

>> I believe it was you who said sodium lauryl sulfate is the ingredient I'm looking for... Is that correct?

Sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, and ammonium laureth sulfate are all perfectly fine. There's actually a rather long list (any anionic surfactant with a very low toxicity to plant life at normal concentrations), but those four tend to hit the most often used.

They're also the most powerful so you need less per ounce of dilutant (usually water, glycerin, and so on). Sodium laurel sulfate is capable of removing old oil stains from concrete floors at high concentration (you aren't using it at high concentration--very low, in fact).

You might sometimes see "dodecyl" instead of "laurel." Same thing, different name.

Ammonium-based surfactants have the additional advantage of not injecting any sodium into your soil, which might be slightly important if you happen to have an excess of sodium. Plus the ammonium part will eventually become plant food.

Suave is great, and my go-to when I'm being lazy. The stuff has a low price per ounce and I like the apple scent on my lawn because it smells nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here