Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apewrangler

Establishing turf on an irregular yard

apewrangler
10 years ago

I live in the deep south and have 1.8 acres of yard that is virtually all slope. I am currently working on about 1/2 acre moving dirt, essentially trying to control drainage and make it more smooth. My long term plan is to establish centipede. My house and site are about 3 years old, and I've been planting Bermuda for the time being as I complete parts of the property. I fee like that's a waste, as the Bermuda hasn't really done well in most areas.

Soon , I will need some sort of slope protection for that 1/2 acre, and I cant afford to buy sod now. I do, however, have access to my dad's property, which has plenty of grassed open field. It's probably mostly Bahia. I was considering renting a sod cutter and transplanting of bunch of that on my slopes to get something established before the fall. Then, I can seed centipede next spring. The process of seeding and putting out wheat straw only partially helps prevent erosion, as my site is easily erodible silt.

Does anyone see any issue with that? Bahia isn't my first choice by any means, but that and crabgrass would take over anything short of purchased sod, anyhow.

Comment (1)