Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
over run with goat heads!!

Posted by cheri2008 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 14:29

wanting to help daughter put in back yard.. home has been empty for some time, front yard was maintained and is healthy, but back is been taken over by goat heads, also known as puncture vine. so what should I do?, was thinking of using round up, to get rid of what is there, then possibly burn , and rake up all that I can.... but after do I till the ground, or am I asking for trouble, will this cause these devils to come back after disturbing them? our temps are in the 100 + so was thinking about just trying to clear off the weeds and try seeding when temps cool off.... any advice is welcome thanks in advance..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: over run with goat heads!!

Those are the worst of all the sticker seeds, IMO. Most will not puncture a bike tire but goat heads will every time.

Temps in the 100s? Where does she live?
What kind of lawn does she want to have?
Is she willing to water once a week?
Mow once or twice a week?
Fertilize?

Most of these low growing sticker plants are opportunistic. They will grow when nothing else is growing. But once anything else is growing, these will not survive.

Here's one way to at least try to get rid of most of them. Spray with RoundUp to kill the existing plants. That should leave only a bazillion seeds. Then water the yard once a day for about 20 minutes (or 1/3 inch if you can measure that). The idea here is to sprout the goat head seeds that are on the soil. Water every day for a week and then spray RoundUp again. Let that dry and continue watering to sprout more goat heads. After another week, you should be able to just spot spray RoundUp on the very few weeds that have sprouted. This process will get rid of most of the goat head seeds and all the vegetation. Scrape up everything and compost it. Your soil should be ready for new seed or sod.

Really need to know where she lives and what kind of lawn she wants. Are kids a factor? Is there any shade on the yard?

o

Thank you SO much for imput.... to answer your questions. We live in Idaho.. Boise area. I believe we are zone 6 hot summers, yet cold winters.. I believe she will be putting in Kentucky Blue Grass as it tolerates our climate. she does have kids(teenagers). Irrigating is not a problem. and yes mowing once a week is routine. And fertize as needed..

o

This is an off the wall comment, but is there any chance you get ahold of some puncturevine weevils? They reduce seed viability to practically zip, are prey specific (they only attack puncturevine), but don't kill the plants--which die at frost anyway even if you do nothing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here